I've had a complaint!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just thinking it might be worth rechecking your bottle cleaning system / rinse easy to miss one it takes an age for 40 bottles so it easy to miss /skip one

I am always surprised when people are happily drinking a beer that is obviously infected to my palette. If you are that person I am very jealous; you get to drink and enjoy more beers than I do.

maybe take some to the local homebrew group and try to establish if your beer is indeed infected?

I am always surprised when people are happily drinking a beer that is obviously infected to my palette. If you are that person I am very jealous; you get to drink and enjoy more beers than I do.
Same when you order a cask ale in a pub and it's clearly gone rank but you see everyone else ordering it and swilling it down! 🤣

I'm certainly not writing off the possibility of an infected bottle. But of course I have no way of verifying that. I still think hop bitterness is the most likely explanation, but I did say to my son, well you probably won't like the parsnip stout, cos that is pretty hoppy.

And yet his comment on that today was "What a beauty!". So I really don't know.

It could be just personal taste/tastebuds. A lot of pubs in the East Midlands sell Oakham Citra, my friendship group drink it like water. I really struggle, I love hoppy beers but it doesn’t work for me, tastes wrong. I’m usually the only person picking up the green apple taste in older beers (Acetaldehyde) not because my sense of taste is amazing I think I’m just attuned to a certain flavour spectrum. Different people pick up different things, and Citra is pretty intense.

Yes, I still think that's the most likely explanation, And as I said, it has lost some of the appealing (to me) freshness it had when young.

But as he now liked two out of three, I shan't be cutting him out of my will this time! :D

(I'm aware that this is a professional defect of mine but still I'll chip in some more...)

It tells something about the OP to see how he deals with feedback. Instead of welcoming it and trying to find out if there is some validity to the feedback he assumes that the person that gave him feedback is wrong. In feedback they call this the theory of the source of truth - you do not trust this source enough for feedback (although you did seem happy with his positive feedback :)).

As mentioned before, try sharing this batch to others whom's opinion you trust more. Perhaps someone on this forum or a local homebrew group. If it's indeed infected you might end up with fixing the issue and brewing better beer. If it's not you can validate your mistrust in your son's beer opinions. cheers:

It tells something about the OP to see how he deals with feedback. Instead of welcoming it and trying to find out if there is some validity to the feedback he assumes that the person that gave him feedback is wrong.

Well I don't think I did that at all, but I'll let other posters be the judge of that.

As I thought and hoped was obvious, the thread was intended in a light-hearted spirit, And considering it involved a family member, frankly I think your comments are pretty rude.

Back