I've had a disaster!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Burnley

Regular.
Reaction score
I did a pendle witch clone on Sunday, I used Wyeast London Esb yeast and set the STC to 22.5 C. Monday before work it was bubbling nicely. I came home Monday evening and I noticed it was rather warmer than usual in the fermentation fridge, the STC still displayed 22.5, however upon checking the temp with my brew day thermometer it read 30 C! And also airlock activity seemed to have stopped. I borrowed the inkbird I had on the kegerator, rigged it up on the fermentation fridge and left it overnight to drop the temp, but this morning still no airlock activity, gravity last night was at 1.032 so it hasn't finished, what do I do? More yeast? I have a CML kveik Voss I can use, or is it to go down the drain?

Last edited:
I'm a noob, but what I've done in the past is got some champagne yeast, let that sit in 100ml boiled water, cooled to room temperature and then let that sit for 30 mins, then pitched and stirred in again.

(I know you don't want to introduce a lot of oxygen but at this point what can you do)

I read that some people do this and then add it to 500ml of the brew in a separate jug and then left that for 24 hours, after 24 hours add that 500ml back into the fermenter.

I've never thrown a batch out and had 3 stop in all the time I've been brewing.

The only 40 pints I had to bin was the one after I made the brew etc. drank it, threw up, I hadn't rinsed at stage one using the VWP cleaner! DOH.!

So if we assume your yeast has died I personally would just sprinkle a fresh pack of yeast onto the wort...assuming you are at 20deg C now.

buddsy

Last edited:
If you do have to reintroduce yeast then hydrate it with water at 35c first - don't just go killing half of it by sprinkling it on top.

Im surprised to hear that. Isn't that said to be outdated these days? I know Brulosophy and others have done experiments to show there is no difference. The chap from homebrew network admitted he just sprinkles on the top. Even Lallamend say rehydration is recommended but not essential.

That said I have always rehydrated as per the yeasts instructions on the pack.

buddsy

Im surprised to hear that. Isn't that said to be outdated these days? I know Brulosophy and others have done experiments to show there is no difference. The chap from homebrew network admitted he just sprinkles on the top. Even Lallamend say rehydration is recommended but not essential.

That said I have always rehydrated as per the yeasts instructions on the pack.

buddsy

Brulosophy "experiments" are never a good example. For any experiment to have any credibility to needs to repeated many times certainly not just once. The ones I have read they just seem to find the result they were looking for without any decent back up. I once attended a talk by Dr. Keith Thomas of Brewlabs, one of the leading yeast experts in the UK and he was adamant all yeast will benefit being started before pitching. Although I never use dry yeast I can't see why any one would want to skip such a very easy step that will help the ferment get off to a stronger start.

This guys seems to have a good handle on brewing IMO with plenty of brews under his belt.

buddsy

This guys seems to have a good handle on brewing IMO with plenty of brews under his belt.

buddsy

Maybe so.
However I sanitise anything that comes into contact with wort as far as I can, and that includes spoons used to mix the yeast and temperature probes. I would certainly not pick up a spoon left on the worktop and dunk that in my yeast slurry.

or is it to go down the drurain?
Never throw anything away until you're absolutely sure it's ruined. Your sense of taste and smell will tell you that, and even then, if in doubt persist. What have you got to lose?
If you do have to reintroduce yeast then hydrate it with water at 35c first - don't just go killing half of it by sprinkling it on top.
Spot on.
I'm surprised to hear that. Isn't that said to be outdated these days?
No. Whether or not you like Brulosophy experiments is not really relevant. Properly hydrated yeast has a much better chance than chucking it onto the surface of the wort. If you want to know why, read the relevent section in Zainasheff and White "Yeast".

I wouldn't use Voss as it will add its own character, which is probably not wh ghat you want. Your original yeast will have added the character you wanted and you can now finish it with a neutral yeast if you want, although your FG might end up lower than you wanted. If you're thinking about chucking it anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Use a good, strong fermenter MJ M42 would be my goto in this case, but there are plenty of others.

Are you thinking that it went well above 30c and killed the yeast?

The only thing a 30c ferment would do is inrease the speed of fermentation and make fusels. I think it's just done, and using more yeast will probably be a waste.

Never throw anything away until you're absolutely sure it's ruined. Your sense of taste and smell will tell you that, and even then, if in doubt persist. What have you got to lose?

Spot on.

No. Whether or not you like Brulosophy experiments is not really relevant. Properly hydrated yeast has a much better chance than chucking it onto the surface of the wort. If you want to know why, read the relevent section in Zainasheff and White "Yeast".

I wouldn't use Voss as it will add its own character, which is probably not wh ghat you want. Your original yeast will have added the character you wanted and you can now finish it with a neutral yeast if you want, although your FG might end up lower than you wanted. If you're thinking about chucking it anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Use a good, strong fermenter MJ M42 would be my goto in this case, but there are plenty of others.

The yeast book is I believe the most important book available to home brewers and I would certainly listen to any advice published by Chris White, who like Dr. Keith Thomas is a renown expert in yeast, rather than some Aussie on you tube especially one how uses SO-4 as a yeast of choice.:vomitintoilet:

Are you thinking that it went well above 30c and killed the yeast?

The only thing a 30c ferment would do is inrease the speed of fermentation and make fusels. I think it's just done, and using more yeast will probably be a waste.

That's a point! get out the hydrometer!!!!

rather than some Aussie on you tube especially one how uses SO-4 as a yeast of choice.:vomitintoilet:

How about David Heath? Will you write him off too?

"It has long been known in commercial brewing that pitching yeast directly into wort obtains great results and that rehydration into water is an unnecessary step."

buddsy

Last edited:
Yes, as I said I would take the advise of two of the most acclaimed worldwide yeast experts over any youtuber any day.

Yes, as I said I would take the advise of two of the most acclaimed worldwide yeast experts over any youtuber any day.
While I agree with pretty much everything you've said, it's interesting that Fermentis say otherwise. This is from their tips and tricks pdf:
Several rehydration and direct pitch conditions do not show any significant differences in terms of viability and vitality of the ADY (active dry yeast).

And from their faq:
I've read that rehydrating in wort as opposed to water can decrease viability: is this true?
No, that’s not true. There is the potential for a slight loss in viability (approximately 3-6%) but that will not impact the fermentation at all.

Almost all other manufacturers do recommend rehydration though, but maybe it's not so cut and dry.

I think I have noticed a greater lag time with pitching dry, but it's probably something I should test to confirm. If it is true I wonder why, does the yeast get stunned in wort?

While I agree with pretty much everything you've said, it's interesting that Fermentis say otherwise. This is from their tips and tricks pdf:

And from their faq:

Almost all other manufacturers do recommend rehydration though, but maybe it's not so cut and dry.

I wonder if Fermentis just want to make their product sound easier to use a loss in viability of 3-6% is so far below all other estimates. As I stated earlier I never use dried yeast but can't believe anyone would want to skip such a very simple step that will help start the fermentation of your wort.

Latest posts

Back