I've just found a sour I like!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I never thought this day would happen! My missus got a bottle of Thornbrige Tart so I gave it a try and it's nice, I couldn't have more than one but it was very refreshing especially in this weather. All the other sours I've had have been quite Belgian which hasn't helped me warm to them but this one seems quite accessible.

"Clean sours" are definitely the gateway to enjoying them! Some of my favours include Buxton's trolltunga (gooseberry sour IPA) and far skyline (berliner weisse), Siren's pompelmocello (grapefuit IPA), anything by To Ol or Chorlton.

I've never had a sour. I think Berliner Weiss sounds like my kind of thing, but I don't like the thought of the "barnyard funk" which is used by BJCP to describe a lambic.

Got to disagree there chaps, thornbridges tart is probably the worst sour I've tried. It just tastes like a cheap white wine to me, to thin and no complexity to it, it's almost like a poor beer with a squirt of jiff lemon.

Got to disagree there chaps, thornbridges tart is probably the worst sour I've tried. It just tastes like a cheap white wine to me, to thin and no complexity to it, it's almost like a poor beer with a squirt of jiff lemon.

Funnily enough it did remind me of white wine, still enjoyed it tho. :)

whatever type of sour you enjoy, it's a foothold into another world, amazing or terrifing will depend on your tastebuds.

I like tart, boon oude gueze, siren calypso and duchess de bourgogne amongst others. I think sours even more than ipa's have a wide range of variation. From a slight tang to OMG my face just turned inside out :-o

Enjoy the journey but don't forget your ipa's.

Berliner Weisse is probably your gateway beer or maybe something like Mort Subite Witte Lambic or Lindemans Faro.

It's an interesting style and really good for when you've had too many ales and your mouth's a bit "hairy". It really cuts through!

Latest posts

Back