J_P's Hop Monster (not Jolly Roger)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
I cracked open a bottle that i've had in my fridge for a few weeks now, it was sent to me by J_P, I've heard him talk fondly of this brew before so I had high hopes.

09082008770.jpg

I wasn't dissapointed at all. It opened with a good strong hiss and straight away I picked up a nice citrus aroma, it poured very well with a nice tightly beaded head, care had to be taken pouring as the yeast sediment seemed a little unstable.

As you can see from the picture the beer was star bright, served at 12c. Carbonation was lively and gave the beer a lovely 'light' feel this did not detract from a great mouth feel though. Jolly Roger has a nice clean taste a good citrus aroma and flavour and a great full on bitter aftertaste. It's a very well balanced beer, and that aftertaste sealed the deal for me. I'd happily pay for this beer, it's equally as good as some commercial beers and better than quite a few too! J_P you've cracked it (but you know that already ;) ).

I'd appreciate it if J_P could post the recipe, the only thing I have brewed similar tasting to this had magnum, perle and cascade and was fermented with US-05 i'd like to know how JR has been put together.

Cheer J_P - that one was a cracker :clap: :)

:oops: Aww shucks you're making me blush! The recipe is as follows (lifted straight from the blog

Grist
4.2Kg Pale Malt
0.3Kg Flaked Maize
0.2Kg Dark Crystal Malt

Mashed in 12l of ~68C water for 90 minutes

Hop Schedule
16g 8.3% First Gold - 90 Minutes
18g 7.3% Challenger - 90 Minutes
20g Challenger 15 Minutes
35g Challenger 0 Minutes (80C for 20 minutes)

Protafloc was added with 15 minute hops and fermentation was with yeast from the Cairngorm Brewery. I ended up with 25l of 1.043 wort.

You could substitute the flaked maize for torrified wheat as that is what I originally made it with. The Cairngorm yeast is not the best for bottling but for fruity flavour you can't beat it

Houston - we have a problem!

I don't think that this beer was first gold and challenger :) Looking at your blog, Hop Monster is the Cascade brew, is it possible that the lid markings could have been mixed up. The beer I had tonight 100% had Cascades :D

I'm guessing that the bottle still in my fridge labelled HM is really JR ;)

Ah well here's the recipe

4.8Kg Pale Malt
0.3kg Flaked Maize

This was mashed in 12l of water for 90 minutes at ~68C in pure unadulterated Darlington water.

Hop Schedule
23g 6.8% Cascade 90 Minutes
18g 8.3% First Gold 90 Minutes
10g Cascades 15 Minutes
10g First Gold 15 Minutes
30g Cascades 0 Minutes

I thought it looked a little bit light in the picture :hmm:

I have to say JP that it was an awesome pint :cool: Having all the ingredients in stock, I recon I'll be brewing this next weekend (que - AT having a go about me not using his Nelson's yet :lol: )

It feels like I haven't brewed for ages :roll: this beer is right up my street :grin:

Cheers JP :)

Wez said:
I have to say JP that it was an awesome pint :cool: Having all the ingredients in stock, I recon I'll be brewing this next weekend (que - AT having a go about me not using his Nelson's yet :lol: )

It feels like I haven't brewed for ages :roll: this beer is right up my street :grin:

Cheers JP :)

It was an attempt to recreate my 6% Curlew IPA but I ballsed the sparge up (too fast) and ended up with a slightly weaker brew 5.5% I wished you could have drank a pint of that one it was an immense beer

JP, did you just mash the flaked maize as normal? Nothing needs to be done to it first does it?

Edit - also I can't find flaked maize in Beersmith, does anyone know it's properties so I can add it in?

Wez said:
JP, did you just mash the flaked maize as normal? Nothing needs to be done to it first does it?

Edit - also I can't find flaked maize in Beersmith, does anyone know it's properties so I can add it in?

Flaked maize is steamed before it is rolled so you can mash as normal.

Flaked Maize comes under "Corn,Flaked" I think, put it this way I have been spot on with the volume and gravity when using it so it must have a similar potential extract value.

Ok using tinseth that comes out at around 36 IBU - does that sound about right to you?

Great - Next weekend this'll be brewed :cool:

Edit - what yeast? I'm thinking US05

Wez said:
Great - Next weekend this'll be brewed :cool:

Edit - what yeast? I'm thinking US05

Very clean yeast, not my cup of tea these days but if you like it then go for it.

Of the commercially available liquid yeasts I'd possibly try either WLP007 as it's good and dry or WLP013 for it's oaky profile. Let me know what you decide.

Latest posts

Back