Jack Fruit IPA ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
I have just been watching a TV prog where they are using Jackfruit as a substitute for pulled pork which I know is becoming reasonably commonly available in UK and used in Vegan foods. Now when they tasted it raw the presenter said it tasted tropical like pineapple/banana.
Has anybody heard of it been used in beer as it sounds like it would lend itself to a tropical IPA or NEIPA
The wife has just told me that they use under ripe Jackfruit for the pulled perk etc so the tinned stuff we see in the super is possibly no good as it has to be fully ripe to get the tropical tastes

Last edited:
Your wife is right, the stuff you get at restaurants as a meat alternative, or in tins from the supermarket, is green jackfruit. It's nice, but the fruitiness is very subtle and would get lost behind the vegetable taste (I don't know if you've had som tum, the Thai salad made from green papaya, but it's a bit like that). The ripe fruit I tried in Singapore and was really delicious, bursting with fresh tropical notes that I think would work very well in a tropical IPA. I've not eaten the ripe fruits in the UK, but my local Asian food shop has them when they're in season, April to mid summer. Might be worth seeing if you can pick one up near you.

When I lived in the South-West, I had a great Asian shop on the corner, it sold all that stuff, jackfruit, moolis, yams, everything. Nothing like that around here, I gather the nearest would be Bolton.

I use jackfruit a fair amount in cooking and young jackfruit/the majority of tinned jackfruit doesn't have a fruity flavour. I've heard there are the actual fruits at Costco and I've also seen one at an Asian food store in Archway. Whilst you may not be near North London, it sounds like jackfruit can be found in those sorts of shops.

IIt does look a potential experiment for us brewers Iain I might try and get some later in the year I already have about 5 brews planned so I hopefully will get around to it or somebody may beat me to itathumb..

Durian smells like rotting flesh but looks similar to a Jackfruit. Both are big green and spiked allover. The durian has bigger spikes. Jackfruit has segments inside like very big sweet corn durian is different. Personally I didn't like the smell of Jackfruit but the durian is absolutely awful!

Back