JaDeD Immersion Chillers in the UK

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nicely put :hat:- and I totally agree about the diversity in the community for us each having our own preferred processes that we know and love :-)

If I understand correctly, it seems to me that the key feature of this particular immersion chiller in question is that it is very long (I've seen 23m quoted in one of the links). So for them to claim it's substantial faster than a counterflow, they'd have to be comparing it to one about the same length - which would be a bit of a beast (!) but it would work very very fast.

Forgive me for getting geeky for a minute - this isn't because I'm trying to show off or say I'm right (!!) it's just to add a bit of context athumb.. athumb.. athumb..

There are two reasons a counterflow chiller is interesting:

The first is that the whole volume of the hot wort comes into contact with the cooled surface of the pipe walls for the same period of time, because it all flows through the tube. In contrast an immersion has to be agitated quite vigorously during use, otherwise different parts of the wort spend different periods of time in contact with the chiller pipe.​
The second is that the counterflow is extremely thermodynamically efficient at how it utilises the temperature difference between the hot wort and the cold tapwater in order to transfer heat energy out of the wort. This is because the fluids are going in opposite directions (the 'counter' flow thing) which means that the temperature difference is maximised at the end of the process, so that the wort just emerging from the end of the device benefits from the maximum 'cooling effect' of the fresh water going in (see here for more details: Why counter flow heat exchangers are more efficient).​

Again, thanks for the information TETB! Lots to take away from this chat....

Could i ask why you decided to go for the JaDeD Chiller when as you have explained they do not sell them here?
Many U.K home brew shops do sell other brands.

https://www.geterbrewed.com/the-chillinator/The Chillinator
The fastest wort chiller in the industry!

We introduce the ' Chillinator ' it is designed by our in house engineer Neil, boasts the fastest chilling times we have ever seen, this chiller will take boiling wort to pitching temperatures of between 15-20 degrees in approximately 8 minutes.

No pumps are required to achieve these chilling times, the speed of a plate chiller but with the ease of sanitation of an immersion chiller, there is no labour intensive cleaning schedule, simply drop the chillinator into the boil for the last ten minutes and rinse off when when your wort reaches the desired temperature.

• Record Breaking chilling time
  • Easy Cleaning
  • Hose lock fittings for easy connecting to water supply
  • Lead Free solder connections
  • Copper made chiller with anti bacterial properties
  • Approximately 240mm diameter of outer coil with 155mm of inner coil by 510mm in height (these measurements may vary slightly with some examples and are also available as a custom size)

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product-category/equipment/chillers/Chill your wort down like a pro! Unlike plate chillers that utilise coppers great conductivity, this 6.5m fully 304 passivated stainless steel chiller can withstand high hop additions without clogging.
The Coolossus also has high chemical resistance unlike plate chillers and other copper immersion chillers. This chiller can also be used with Camlocks to make connecting to it quick and easy.

This product has an “industrial” type finish and is built to do the job, quickly, not to sit there and look pretty.
Specifications:
Coolant Line: ID: 21mm x OD: 22mm x Length 6m;
Wort (Beer) Line: ID:11.9mm x OD12.7mm x Length 6.5m
Height: 180mm
Diameter: 280mm
Connectors:1/2” BSPT (Ideal for hose connectors such as Camlocks)
Composition: 304 Stainless Steel

https://brew2bottle.co.uk/collections/wort-chillersThis wort chiller cools 50L of boiling wort to 20-25 °C in 20 minutes, using cooling water at 13 °C. It is highly durable and easy to maintain, due to its stainless steel design. Fits perfectly in the Brew Monk Magnus.

• cools 50L of wort to 20-25 °C in 20 minutes.
• Manufactured from stainless steel.
• Immersion chiller.
• Easy to clean & use.
• total height: 55cm.
• height of spiral: 19cm.
• diameter of spiral: 25cm.
• diameter of tubing: 9.5mm.
• Compatible with 3/4″ Gardena and Hozelock garden hose connectors.

Last edited:
Could i ask why you decided to go for the JaDeD Chiller when as you have explained they do not sell them here most U.K home brew shops do sell them?

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product-category/equipment/chillers/
https://brew2bottle.co.uk/collections/wort-chillers
https://www.geterbrewed.com/the-chillinator/
Hi, of course! The efficiency which is fairly consistently reported from this hardware appears to be excellent. This is dissimilar to opinions on even similar pieces of equipment already shared in only this thread. The overall view appears to be that immersion chillers take 30 mins plus to reduce to pitching temperatures, and CFCs while faster are not significantly so. I am interested in both reducing water waste and shortening my brew day. Of course, there are always other ways to reach the same endpoint (see the earlier posts too, and that doesn’t even mention No Chill). At the very worst it’s seeing something shiny and thinking, “I’ll have one of those”. :D

The overall view appears to be that immersion chillers take 30 mins plus to reduce to pitching temperatures, and CFCs while faster are not significantly so.

Boiling to 20c in 8 minutes seems pretty fast to me -

The Chillinator - £125

The fastest wort chiller in the industry!

We introduce the ' Chillinator ' it is designed by our in house engineer Neil, boasts the fastest chilling times we have ever seen, this chiller will take boiling wort to pitching temperatures of between 15-20 degrees in approximately 8 minutes.

https://www.geterbrewed.com/the-chillinator/

1622056878675.png

No pumps are required to achieve these chilling times, the speed of a plate chiller but with the ease of sanitation of an immersion chiller, there is no labour intensive cleaning schedule, simply drop the chillinator into the boil for the last ten minutes and rinse off when when your wort reaches the desired temperature.

• Record Breaking chilling time
  • Easy Cleaning
  • Hose lock fittings for easy connecting to water supply
  • Lead Free solder connections
  • Copper made chiller with anti bacterial properties
  • Approximately 240mm diameter of outer coil with 155mm of inner coil by 510mm in height (these measurements may vary slightly with some examples and are also available as a custom size)

I’m not trying to be a grumpy old s*d, but I struggle to understand what it is about this that justifies the price tag... it’s basically two spirals of copper pipe connected in parallel, terminated in hozelok fittings.

I‘d also say the statement “this chiller will take boiling wort to pitching temperatures of between 15-20 degrees in approximately 8 minutes.” begs the question: how much wort ?? 50 litres? A bucketful?

I’m not trying to be a grumpy old s*d, but I struggle to understand what it is about this that justifies the price tag... it’s basically two spirals of copper pipe connected in parallel, terminated in hozelok fittings.

You grumpy old s*d 😂

I agree though, very very simple to make at a fraction of the price

Nicely put :hat:- and I totally agree about the diversity in the community for us each having our own preferred processes that we know and love :-)

If I understand correctly, it seems to me that the key feature of this particular immersion chiller in question is that it is very long (I've seen 23m quoted in one of the links). So for them to claim it's substantial faster than a counterflow, they'd have to be comparing it to one about the same length - which would be a bit of a beast (!) but it would work very very fast.

Forgive me for getting geeky for a minute - this isn't because I'm trying to show off or say I'm right (!!) it's just to add a bit of context athumb.. athumb.. athumb..

There are two reasons a counterflow chiller is interesting:

The first is that the whole volume of the hot wort comes into contact with the cooled surface of the pipe walls for the same period of time, because it all flows through the tube. In contrast an immersion has to be agitated quite vigorously during use, otherwise different parts of the wort spend different periods of time in contact with the chiller pipe.​
The second is that the counterflow is extremely thermodynamically efficient at how it utilises the temperature difference between the hot wort and the cold tapwater in order to transfer heat energy out of the wort. This is because the fluids are going in opposite directions (the 'counter' flow thing) which means that the temperature difference is maximised at the end of the process, so that the wort just emerging from the end of the device benefits from the maximum 'cooling effect' of the fresh water going in (see here for more details: Why counter flow heat exchangers are more efficient).​

The key difference with the JaDeD immersion chiller is that it has 3 coils in parallel. This significantly reduces the water pressure required and increases the speed of flow of the coolant. It makes a big difference.

I use the coolossus and it seems to work well, I recirculate thru it and then whirlpool in the boiler. It copes with the free floating hops and easy enough to clean. I flush thru with the hosepipe first then just plug it into the cleaning cycle with PBW that I run on the All in one at the end then a flush and it drains out well.
Takes more time if you recirculate the cooled wort back to the vessel for the whirlpool but otherwise a temperature controlled whirlpool and chill is tricky. I catch loads of trub and hops with my trubtrapper and get very minimal waste.
I expect if there was no whirlpool and I didn't want to leave hot and cold break behind it would chill straight into the fermenter fine with a lot of gunk transfer.
Better than the stainless immersion chiller it came with.

Flow rate. Saw this on American forum

“It seems that the 6gpm flow rate is integral to getting the stated performance, and I can only provide more like ~1gpm or a bit more. At that rate, it appears that instead of 3 minutes to reach groundwater +10F, it will take 15-20 minutes.”

Not sure what the average household flow rate is but I doubt it’s 6 gallons a minute. What’s the a litre every 3 seconds?

Flow rate. Saw this on American forum

“It seems that the 6gpm flow rate is integral to getting the stated performance, and I can only provide more like ~1gpm or a bit more. At that rate, it appears that instead of 3 minutes to reach groundwater +10F, it will take 15-20 minutes.”

Not sure what the average household flow rate is but I doubt it’s 6 gallons a minute. What’s the a litre every 3 seconds?
Interesting! Thanks for passing that on. I’ll have a test of the mains throughout to see what is produced at the tap. Any reduction due to friction and pipe diameter restriction would need to be worked out from there.
As 3.8 Litres per US Gallon it would need to be approx 0.38 L per second as you say. It’ll be interesting to see what my test later shows.

So, after running 10 repeated tests of filling a 2L measuring jug from the tap, and then confirming by filling a 5L jug twice, I have my flow rate at the tap. 6.6 seconds to fill the two litre, averaged over the 10 samples. So, 6.6/2=3.3 seconds per litre. Results in 18.18 L per minute. In US units that works out to 4.78 Gal/Minute. Less than the recommended 6 Gal/Min mentioned earlier by about 20%. (+\- 1%). If we assume that the recommended flow rate is at the tap rather than at the outlet of the chiller then that would increase cooling time by a factor of 1.25. (Assuming that flow rates affect cooling in a fairly linear manner).
Of course, depending on your tap flow rate your mileage may vary.
As always, happy to have any corrections suggested!

I have a Chillinator - to be honest I'm not that impressed with it.

I have pretty cold groundwater and it still takes a good 30 mins to chill to pitching temperatures, that's with the pump whirlpooling.

I built my own CFC from plumbing supplies and use this now - it can take boiling in one end and push out 16c the other with a slow flow, takes 15/20 mins to get to the fermenter but I'm happy.

I considered making my chiller own after watching a bunch of YouTube videos and almost bought the copper from Screwfix but in the end I bought a Chillinator and whilst it's better than my Stainless Steel chiller, I'm also disappointed with it.

But if you run your cold water as fast as possible and wiggle the Chillinator every minute or so, then it works faster (although that does unsettle the wort). It now takes me around 25 mins for a 25L batch to get to 20C.

I was also given a tip (from another Brewzilla user such as myself) to place the pump tube on the copper coils that are bringing the water into the chiller to further speed things up. So I'm going to try that next week.

Latest posts

Back