JaDeD Immersion Chillers in the UK

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boiling to 20c in 8 minutes seems pretty fast to me -

The Chillinator - £125

The fastest wort chiller in the industry!

We introduce the ' Chillinator ' it is designed by our in house engineer Neil, boasts the fastest chilling times we have ever seen, this chiller will take boiling wort to pitching temperatures of between 15-20 degrees in approximately 8 minutes.

https://www.geterbrewed.com/the-chillinator/

View attachment 47900

No pumps are required to achieve these chilling times, the speed of a plate chiller but with the ease of sanitation of an immersion chiller, there is no labour intensive cleaning schedule, simply drop the chillinator into the boil for the last ten minutes and rinse off when when your wort reaches the desired temperature.

• Record Breaking chilling time
  • Easy Cleaning
  • Hose lock fittings for easy connecting to water supply
  • Lead Free solder connections
  • Copper made chiller with anti bacterial properties
  • Approximately 240mm diameter of outer coil with 155mm of inner coil by 510mm in height (these measurements may vary slightly with some examples and are also available as a custom size)

I have one and it takes at least 25 mins for 25L.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, after running 10 repeated tests of filling a 2L measuring jug from the tap, and then confirming by filling a 5L jug twice, I have my flow rate at the tap. 6.6 seconds to fill the two litre, averaged over the 10 samples. So, 6.6/2=3.3 seconds per litre. Results in 18.18 L per minute. In US units that works out to 4.78 Gal/Minute. Less than the recommended 6 Gal/Min mentioned earlier by about 20%. (+\- 1%). If we assume that the recommended flow rate is at the tap rather than at the outlet of the chiller then that would increase cooling time by a factor of 1.25. (Assuming that flow rates affect cooling in a fairly linear manner).
Of course, depending on your tap flow rate your mileage may vary.
As always, happy to have any corrections suggested!

that’s not too bad. i reckon mine is about half that but will check tomorrow.

To be fair, JaDeD recommend a whole raft of techniques to achieve that speed of chilling. Moving the chiller up and down in the wort and potentially pre-cooling the water using an ice Bath and second coil. Mind you, that’s for USA audiences whose ground water temperature would be significantly higher than ours here. I would think that these would also work with other immersion chillers too. Worth another bit of experimentation?

As has been discussed it all depends on the temperature and flow of the water.
Very true, and there is always the possibility that given those same constants any chiller could be the same. However, for FGoulding all they were doing was stating the facts about their situation?

I would like to think that any homebrewer buying chillers at these prices are intent on opening a microbrewery and selling their wares.
I have chilled and no chilled and with chilling on a homemade copper chiller using 10mm microbore and flow control ball valves it took 15mims for 25l but still cost around £40 to make.
No chill in a cube was £5 for the cube and nothing for standing overnight.
I brew beer as a hobby and quite a rewarding one at that and I intend to stick with it but entrepreneurs out there seem to know the solution to every problem with a cost and reap the rewards.
Try pumping hot wort through ice bath to see a difference and even better if you have a freezer or chest freezer that's stores food in it and will freeze a load of ice.

I would like to think that any homebrewer buying chillers at these prices are intent on opening a microbrewery and selling their wares.
I have chilled and no chilled and with chilling on a homemade copper chiller using 10mm microbore and flow control ball valves it took 15mims for 25l but still cost around £40 to make.
I brew beer as a hobby and quite a rewarding one at that and I intend to stick with it but entrepreneurs out there seem to know the solution to every problem with a cost and reap the rewards.
Try pumping hot wort through ice bath to see a difference and even better if you have a freezer or chest freezer that's stores food in it and will freeze a load of ice.
You’re quite right, there are a lot of ways to improve any part of our processes with little or no cost. I am currently just learning to Brew, and my immersion chiller was bought for £5 from someone selling of gear they no longer use. He made it himself and it works absolutely fine, if a little inefficient. It’s also one of the things that I’ve been really pleasantly surprised about with not only this forum, but the whole homebrew community. There’s scope and space for every approach, budget, philosophy and imagination. I’d never suggest that what I think is “right” for anyone else, although in every part of life I do like a good debate. Knowledge and experimentation are surely the best way to find a process and equipment set that works best for you, not anyone else? Listen to everyone and then make up your own mind, but not enough to stop listening.

Horses for courses! Personally if this chiller could cool boiling wort to 20c in 8 mins I would willingly pay £200 quid for it. If that does me 10 years it’s 20 quid a year to have super fast cooling

Hi all I have had a look at this coil, it uses at least 18 gallons of cold water to reduce the temperature.
Seems at rather a lot what are the options?

happy brewing
Hi, yes, I had noticed that too. Made me realise I don’t have an accurate baseline for my current chiller. My process is to run off the output from the coil (when it’s still hot to warm) into my HLT and use this for cleaning later. I can harvest 35 - 40L or so and then unfortunately it’s down the drain from then on. I’d have a guess that I ditch at least a similar amount as I save, based on the time taken. Again, assuming cooling to Ale Yeast pitch temperatures. So a rough estimate is that I use approximately 80L + with my current chiller, in USA units that’s approximately 21 Gallons (+/-). A possibility of a modest water saving even allowing for the 18 Gal requirement.
Excellent point, thanks for bringing it up.

If you jiggle your immersion chiller while chilling, it speeds the process up by 3-4x.

If you want to walk away while chilling you can whirlpool with a pump, or just get a counter flow chiller.
It’s a good piece of advice and does make a difference in cooling efficiency. 👍🏻

Horses for courses! Personally if this chiller could cool boiling wort to 20c in 8 mins I would willingly pay £200 quid for it. If that does me 10 years it’s 20 quid a year to have super fast cooling
Sounds plausible but if you're one who's paying for your water over ten years at a rate of 18 gallons per brew and assuming that is cold weather plus at least half again in warmer weather it's a considerable amount of water for potential wastage though could be recycled to a waterbutt and reused again.
Personally it's just more water down the drain and it's bad enough with us brewers pushing excess CO2 into the atmosphere.

Sounds plausible but if you're one who's paying for your water over ten years at a rate of 18 gallons per brew and assuming that is cold weather plus at least half again in warmer weather it's a considerable amount of water for potential wastage though could be recycled to a waterbutt and reused again.
Personally it's just more water down the drain and it's bad enough with us brewers pushing excess CO2 into the atmosphere.
Hi Gerryjo, you make a good point of reusing the water and I fully agree that if you live in an area which has systemic water shortages then it’s really the right thing to do. I see from your earlier posts that you mentioned No Chill, is that more your primary method? I’ve read a bit about it, and one of the concerns was DMS production while still above the threshold of MMS decomposition during an extended cooling time. No Chill spears to have been an Australian innovation to minimise or remove the use of water for chilling as it’s such a rare resource there, and the end justifies the risk of additional DMS. Again, heading wildly off topic, but it’s an interesting point .

agree on the environmental issues. I was hoping this chiller would use less water but it doesn’t look that way.

Hi Gerryjo, you make a good point of reusing the water and I fully agree that if you live in an area which has systemic water shortages then it’s really the right thing to do. I see from your earlier posts that you mentioned No Chill, is that more your primary method? I’ve read a bit about it, and one of the concerns was DMS production while still above the threshold of MMS decomposition during an extended cooling time. No Chill spears to have been an Australian innovation to minimise or remove the use of water for chilling as it’s such a rare resource there, and the end justifies the risk of additional DMS. Again, heading wildly off topic, but it’s an interesting point .
Primarily no chill was used for both water conservation and the fact that the ground water in parts of Australia is just too warm.
My question to you is have you actually tried any of these methods to gain results or is it from others.
I've no chilled on quite a few occasions and it also helps if you have a fermentation chamber which is already at your desired temp this using the fridge for cooling.
There are loads of stories about DMS but the thing about is it's presence and how it appears to individuals like corn or buttery for instance and same can be said for boiling with or without the lid.
Longest I've had a no chill batch was a month in a cube and when pitched and dry hopped I honestly couldn't find any difference.

Primarily no chill was used for both water conservation and the fact that the ground water in parts of Australia is just too warm.
My question to you is have you actually tried any of these methods to gain results or is it from others.
I've no chilled on quite a few occasions and it also helps if you have a fermentation chamber which is already at your desired temp this using the fridge for cooling.
There are loads of stories about DMS but the thing about is it's presence and how it appears to individuals like corn or buttery for instance and same can be said for boiling with or without the lid.
Longest I've had a no chill batch was a month in a cube and when pitched and dry hopped I honestly couldn't find any difference.
I’ve not yet tried no Chill, I’m sure I will at some point though. Yes, DMS can also be retained by boiling with the lid on if for some reason you decided to do that past the point of the boil being reached. We all have different taste thresholds for off flavours, and as long as what you are brewing doesn’t exceed yours then that’s all good as it might as well not exist. There’s a long list of improvements to be made in my processes and each and every one will help in some way or another. It’s a long journey, and I’m looking forward to it. 😀

Last edited:
I’ve not yet tried no Chill, I’m sure I will at some point though. Yes, DMS can also be retained by boiling with the lid on if for some reason you decided to do that past the point of the boil being reached. We all have different taste thresholds for off flavours, and as long as what you are brewing doesn’t exceed yours then that’s all good as it might as well not exist. There’s a long list of improvements to be made in my processes and each and every one will help in some way or another. It’s a long journey, and I’m looking forward to it. 😀
DMS boil

I'm a member of a homebrewers WhatsApp group based in Málaga , on one of my visits to malga they kindly invited me to a brew day in one of their brewers Curro's house. It was in the 30s C on the day and I was particularly inte

rested to see how they chill the wort. They use an ice bank beer cooler , you can pick them up quite cheaply, second hand around Spain. In this case they used a sanitised stainless immersion chiller immersed in the ice bath. The ice bath had been switched on from the previous night to generate the ice . The ice bath also contains a motorised paddle to circulates the water at the core of the ice block around the immersion coil . It chilled the wort from boiling to 16C in one pass and although I didn't measure the time involved , it was chilled quite quickly .

Attachments

• 20180809_142359.mp4
    13.5 MB
Back