Jail ale.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CD
I add 1% chocolate malt to the ingredients above. What hops do you recommend my last brew was Admiral at 60, Fuggles at 15 and EKG at 3 .

Clint
My recipe
21 litres
Too strong at 5.8% but I got 76% BHE
4200g pale malt
400g Crystal 55L
250g wheat malt
50g Choc malt
25g Admiral @ 60
20g Fuggles @ 15
15g EKG @ 3
Yeast CML Midland
OG 1056
The ABV should be 4.8% so scale back if you want that.

A86ABF57-57B5-434E-9FEB-F4C66F730218.jpeg

Jail ale now drinking 😋

Cheers Chesh...got all the malts..I think! Must nip to the cryo chamber for a hop check... don't think there's any Admiral..as for yeast..got Notty,London 3? and maybe Liberty Bell...

Clint
My recipe
21 litres
Too strong at 5.8% but I got 76% BHE
4200g pale malt
400g Crystal 55L
250g wheat malt
50g Choc malt
25g Admiral @ 60
20g Fuggles @ 15
15g EKG @ 3
Yeast CML Midland
OG 1056
The ABV should be 4.8% so scale back if you want that.
What IBU do you get with that? It comes out at 43 when I bung it in to Beersmith and scale it back to 19l for my kit and 4.6%ABV

Found it. In 2007 the hops used in Jail Ale were Challenger for bittering, and Progress for aroma, the latter added at the end of the boil. Hop pellets were used, and the wort run into a large whirlpool. I don’t have a note of the quantities used I’m afraid.

Found it. In 2007 the hops used in Jail Ale were Challenger for bittering, and Progress for aroma, the latter added at the end of the boil. Hop pellets were used, and the wort run into a large whirlpool. I don’t have a note of the quantities used I’m afraid.
Thanks CD

Discovered this beer whilst camping in the beer garden at The Plume of Feathers in Princetown. Was a lovely drop on tap there, but then it's a 3-min walk from where the beer is made!

Did our weekly shop in Aldi in Northwich today and bought 2 bottles to do a comparison with my clone tonight. Feedback later.
Clint
Your recipe looks good, I checked the substitute hop for Progress and it's Fuggles.

I got challenger and all the malt in stock..I may have progress but definitely got fuggle.
What yeast do ya recon? I got Notty and liberty bell..

Thanks CD
Like you, I use a tad of choc. malt, something like 50 to 100 gms per 28Kg grain total. It is for colour more than anything. I also add 250gms Billingtons Molasses to the copper as it is filing which adds a certain je ne sait quoi. Don't over do this, that's 250gms in a 35 gallon brew. That's my secret ingredient, or was.

I did a taste test of my Jail Ale with the bought ones last night with Mrs Lancashire Cat. Mine slightly darker and less carbonation but taste wise very close.
Clint
As for yeast I've made in with S04 and CML Midland.

Latest posts

Back