Jam wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love this thread. Years ago I had access to large quantities of Morrisons orange juice, bung it the demijohn, a champagne yeast and an alcoholic drink that was quite passable. Gerald, if your reading this, at least let it clear! 😂😂

Iv have never used anything preservative wise only real fruit or pur juice, I was only planning on trying a strawberry jam as it would be alot cheaper with 4 jars at 75p each than that amount of real fruit. But might give it a go still

I love this thread. Years ago I had access to large quantities of Morrisons orange juice, bung it the demijohn, a champagne yeast and an alcoholic drink that was quite passable. Gerald, if your reading this, at least let it clear! 😂😂
you can make a really good wine from jam as long as it’s home made with no preservatives and you use home grown fruit from an organic allotment 👍

And if you add pectolase (its the pectin that makes jam set,And will stop wine clearing.!!!! )

Overall i agree with Chippy PURE fruit juice from the supermarket is a much better bet.

And if you add pectolase (its the pectin that makes jam set,And will stop wine clearing.!!!! )

Overall i agree with Chippy PURE fruit juice from the supermarket is a much better bet.

Yes I do aswell but £3 for 4 jars of strawberry jam compared to how much it would cost in frozen or fresh as juice is difficult or expensive. Its worth a go

So I decided to try it I put 4 jars of morrisons own jam at 75pence each in a saucepan with 200ish grams of sugar (potential of 12% ABV)
And brought it to a boil, mainly to dissolve the jam added ot to a demijohn and topped up with water, put some pectolase in it and have left it to cool, will add another spoon of pectolase and yeast tomorrow and leave it for a bit to see whay happens

That’s quite a claim, what type of chilli?
Hello SHB and welcome.
Whatever I can get at the time. I'm knocking up a fresh batch tomorrow as I found a lovely crop of glowing red, monster, hot ones in the supermarket. I'm not really into Naga pickle as it tends to melt the jar.

20210507_120723.jpg

1 week in fermenting ok, wasn't as far as I had hoped but it was the last of my yeast been in the fridge since before Christmas.
Put some fresh stuff in today so should be alot more activity tomorrow

View attachment 46646
1 week in fermenting ok, wasn't as far as I had hoped but it was the last of my yeast been in the fridge since before Christmas.
Put some fresh stuff in today so should be alot more activity tomorrow

How is it going? I'm toying with trying this out myself with 4 jars of ASDA seedless strawberry jam...

As threatened, here's my recipe for Marmalade Wine.
My thinking is that I need as much fruit as I can get from as many pots of marmalade as I can use, but that number is limited by the amount of sugar in the jam. Berry's recipe for orange wine starts with 12 oranges, which is several kilos- we're not going to reach that target.
I've got 9 pots: 6 of bitter orange marmalade 370g pots containing 59g sugar per 100g and made with 30g oranges per 100g which gives me 6x3.7x59 which gives me 1.3 Kg sugar and 0.67Kg oranges; and 3 x 335g pots of low sugar (no artificial sweeteners) of bog standard orange marmalade containing 40g sugar and 35g oranges per 100g giving me 3x40x3.35 or 0.4 Kg sugar and 3x35x3.35 or 0.35 Kg oranges.
Berry reckons 1.5 Kg sugar to 5 litres of wine and I've got 1.7 Kg, but Berry hasn't accounted for the sugar in the oranges so I reckon I'm fine. And there's a kilo of oranges so I'm good to go.
Both jams contain lemon juice or citric acid so I'm not going to add any more.
I'll tip the jam into a sanitised 2 gallon bucket and make up to 5 litres with boiling water to dissolve the jam. Cover with a tea towel and when cool add two good teaspoons full of pectin degrading enzyme. Leave for 24 hours and add yeast and nutrient. When the first flush of fermentation is over, strain the wine into a 5 litre demijohn leaving the bits of peel behind. Et voilà. Bob's your uncle et Fanny ta tante.

It works for me, but I'm not a serious winemaker and there may well be better ways of doing this and I should remind myself that my original objective was not to make the wine, but to have a number of empty jars for my Chilli Death Pickle.
I knocked up a gallon batch according to the recipe, above, and it looks and smells lovely. It's ready for racking now and, I'll probably get round to bottling it some time in July. I might prime half the bottles and make them fizzy.

Attachments

• IMG_20210527_081626.jpg
    IMG_20210527_081626.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
My jam wine is still going but has slowed down to a painful pace. Fortunately being warm now ill leave it in a cupboard somewhere and let it slowly reach its final gravity.

My jam wine is still going but has slowed down to a painful pace. Fortunately being warm now ill leave it in a cupboard somewhere and let it slowly reach its final gravity.
My approach to wine is quite different to beer: once the fermentation's going nicely, I leave it and forget about it for several months, rack it, top up the DJ and leave it for another few months then bottle. I really must bottle the apple wine I made in September, but can't be arsed at the moment.

Latest posts

Back