Jam wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northernblues123

Reaction score
Hi all. I am new to this forum.

I am currently brewing a strawberry wine made from 4 jars of asda strawberry jam. This is a super simple recipe as I am really new to wine making.

I am thinking of making another wins from jam but am stuck for flavours. Does anyone have any idea how peach, blackcurrant, plum or pineapple jams will go in a homebrew?

P. S. I don't want to use fruit just yet as I only have demijohns and no buckets. Last time I tried a strawberry wine with real fruit, my ceiling was painted another colour, lol.

Thanks for your help.

Hi NB123,
I've got all the ingredients in to make a batch of marmalade wine. I've made it before, but I'll need to recalculate the quantities and the sugar. I actually made this stuff as a bye-product because I needed some jars for a chutney I had made and the cheapest way to get them was to buy Lidl's marmalade. I was too tight to throw the jam away, though. This time I'll be making it by choice.
When I reformulate the recipe, I'll post it on An Ankoù Brewday.

Welcome to the forum.

P. S. I don't want to use fruit just yet as I only have demijohns and no buckets. Last time I tried a strawberry wine with real fruit, my ceiling was painted another colour, lol.

Welcome.
Many on here make fruit juice wine in DJs using the basic 3l 100% fruit juice (normally at least 1l is grape or apple) and 800g - 1kg sugar topped up with water. Just make sure to leave plenty of headroom for the first vigorous part of the ferment to avoid redecoration.

An ordinary, decent, two gallon bucket doesn't cost much. It doesn't need a lid, you can tie a tea towel over the top. A basic piece of equipment, I'd say.

An ordinary, decent, two gallon bucket doesn't cost much. It doesn't need a lid, you can tie a tea towel over the top. A basic piece of equipment, I'd say.
Thanks so much. It's more for space as our house is quite small. We are moving soon so will definitely invest in more products.

As threatened, here's my recipe for Marmalade Wine.
My thinking is that I need as much fruit as I can get from as many pots of marmalade as I can use, but that number is limited by the amount of sugar in the jam. Berry's recipe for orange wine starts with 12 oranges, which is several kilos- we're not going to reach that target.
I've got 9 pots: 6 of bitter orange marmalade 370g pots containing 59g sugar per 100g and made with 30g oranges per 100g which gives me 6x3.7x59 which gives me 1.3 Kg sugar and 0.67Kg oranges; and 3 x 335g pots of low sugar (no artificial sweeteners) of bog standard orange marmalade containing 40g sugar and 35g oranges per 100g giving me 3x40x3.35 or 0.4 Kg sugar and 3x35x3.35 or 0.35 Kg oranges.
Berry reckons 1.5 Kg sugar to 5 litres of wine and I've got 1.7 Kg, but Berry hasn't accounted for the sugar in the oranges so I reckon I'm fine. And there's a kilo of oranges so I'm good to go.
Both jams contain lemon juice or citric acid so I'm not going to add any more.
I'll tip the jam into a sanitised 2 gallon bucket and make up to 5 litres with boiling water to dissolve the jam. Cover with a tea towel and when cool add two good teaspoons full of pectin degrading enzyme. Leave for 24 hours and add yeast and nutrient. When the first flush of fermentation is over, strain the wine into a 5 litre demijohn leaving the bits of peel behind. Et voilà. Bob's your uncle et Fanny ta tante.

It works for me, but I'm not a serious winemaker and there may well be better ways of doing this and I should remind myself that my original objective was not to make the wine, but to have a number of empty jars for my Chilli Death Pickle.

Last edited:
Do you ferment it right down or leave it slightly sweet? As 1700g seems an awful lot of sugar when I work on the 1100g assumption for juice wines.
Very interesting though, and may give that a go 🙂

An Ankou, what is the marmalade wine like? I'm not a marmalade fan, I find it too bitter, but I love the idea of making a wine from it. Is the end product quite bitter also?

An Ankou, what is the marmalade wine like? I'm not a marmalade fan, I find it too bitter, but I love the idea of making a wine from it. Is the end product quite bitter also?
I made the recipe some years ago because I needed some jars for my chilli death pickle, but was too tight to throw the jam away, but I can't remember how big the jars were, hence the reformulation. It was a very nice wine- more like an aperitif and I don't recall it being bitter. I haven't made up the new batch yet even though I've got all the stuff to do it.
I used Lidl marmalade as it was the cheapest way of getting jars. They don't sell marmalade in Lidl France.

Hi NB123,
I've got all the ingredients in to make a batch of marmalade wine. I've made it before, but I'll need to recalculate the quantities and the sugar. I actually made this stuff as a bye-product because I needed some jars for a chutney I had made and the cheapest way to get them was to buy Lidl's marmalade. I was too tight to throw the jam away, though. This time I'll be making it by choice.
When I reformulate the recipe, I'll post it on An Ankoù Brewday.

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you - you've given me a brilliant idea! omg I'm dangerous sometimes!

Dont forget the pectolase when making wines from jam and marmalade.
Personally i prefer supermarket fruit juice as chippy
says,ITS SO EASY. athumb..

Do you need to boil the jam in water for wine? I keep reading its similar to WOW recipes to get rid of preservatives?

Do you need to boil the jam in water for wine? I keep reading its similar to WOW recipes to get rid of preservatives?

I made a Ribena wine several years ago following instructions here, i boiled the Ribena for 15 minutes to get rid of the preservative and once in the DJ it took several weeks to slowly get to .1010 where it failed, its the only wine i have ever poured down the drain, my advice is leave anything that has preservative in it on the shop shelf there are lots of juices that don't use preservative you could use.

Latest posts

Back