James Morton - Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m basically only gonna brew the recipes form this book for my next few brews. I’ve made about four already and they’re good solid recipes which turned out good. I’ve got the broon ale conditioning just now and the oatmeal stout will be my next brew from this book.

I made his clansman ale early this year to drink over Christmas. It nice but I overcarbonated it so have to open the bottle carefully, also got the totally tropical pale ready for drinking and his smashed it conditioning.

Just had my first taste of the smashed it, I like it. Nothing exciting maybe but a good English pale ale, also made as per the recipe.
The ttp on the other hand, I like it but wouldn't have more than one, don't think I will brew it again but maybe do a less alcoholic beer with the same hop combo for the summer.

I’m going to make the TTP for a second time next week.

I made it when first started brewing AG about 12 months back so I’m intrigued to see if my technique had improved any.

First time round I found this beer to be ok when young and damn fine after a bit of ageing .

Just had my first taste of the smashed it, I like it. Nothing exciting maybe but a good English pale ale, also made as per the recipe.
The ttp on the other hand, I like it but wouldn't have more than one, don't think I will brew it again but maybe do a less alcoholic beer with the same hop combo for the summer.
I'm making Smashed it soon. I kind of got the vibe from his blurb that it might be similar to Timothy Taylor Landlord?

I'm making Smashed it soon. I kind of got the vibe from his blurb that it might be similar to Timothy Taylor Landlord?
e

I was out in the garage earlier sampling my beers and out of the 4 I have ready on keg the smashed it is currently my favourite, although it's the youngest of the 4 (brewed 30 Nov). Not sure how similar is it to Landlord, I've enjoyed landlord in the past but found it on Draught in a pub a couple of weeks ago and wasn't so taken with it although I couldn't detect any off flavours.
Whilst I have the yeast i'm planning on doing a landlord clone from the wheeler book and Yorkshire bitter from Greg Hughes.

At first read, I found his written style very irritating. But the proof is in the drinking so I'll knock one up and see how it comes out. Might start with the "Quaffable".

I've brewed the clansman and I have to say it's my favourite homebrewed beer so far, terrible at giving tasting 'notes' but it's fruity and spicy.... reminds me a little bit of a poachers ale by Badger but nicer.

I've brewed the clansman and I have to say it's my favourite homebrewed beer so far, terrible at giving tasting 'notes' but it's fruity and spicy.... reminds me a little bit of a poachers ale by Badger but nicer.

I wasnt a big fan of the clansman, but it was an early brew and I used a cheap yeast so cant really go on that. Have you tried the scottish export, that one took a bit of conditioning but ended up a real winner. Will be making it again soon.

Have bottled up some totally tropical, which would be my first successful all grain. I tweaked the recipe a little as I wanted to drop the ABV a bit, used 4kg instead of 4.5 malt and used 100g light malt extract instead of the sugar. I also dry hopped for 7 days instead of 3 as I tried it at 3 and was a little bland. End result was pretty good, though one person thought it was too hoppy, but think that was down to personal preference to be honest

Only done the totally tropical based on a recipe shared on here. Have just bought book off world of books for 9 quid. The library near me wouldn't get a copy as they said no one would use it. Erm, hello. I would.

Looking forward to brewing a few of these soon.

3CCECF61-675F-4512-A9BF-4F34E9C9A3D6.jpeg
3CCECF61-675F-4512-A9BF-4F34E9C9A3D6.jpeg
Would anyone recommend this book then?
It’s good
Sorry can’t get pic right

I love the book. I've made about a dozen of the recipes from it. The Totally Tropical is amazing. One of my best. The American Session Wheat Beer and the Oatmeal Extra Pale Ale were also great.

I'm currently conditioning the Irish Export Stout and the Undead Pale Ale, fermenting the US Store Cupboard Brown, and brewing the Munich Helles and Saison next.

Some brews turned out just ok, but I think that's me more than the recipes fault.
Hi, I know this is revisiting a post from a couple of years ago but was just wondering how the Store Cupboard Brown turned out for you? I find with his recipes, when entered into Brewfather the IBU’s come out way way higher that stated in the book!

I’ve done a couple. The Totally Tropical more than lived up to the hype from this forum, just finished the last couple of bottles over the Halloween break. A toned down version ofThe Undead Pale was one of the best beers I’ve made, same recipe but scaled back to give an ABV of 5%. I wanted to serve a keg at a dinner party and didn’t want to waste the guests before the food arrived. Been considering either the Storecupboard or Mosquito for my next brew.

I find with his recipes, when entered into Brewfather the IBU’s come out way way higher that stated in the book!
The TT came out spot on the upper limit for me - 7.2%. The Undead came out a bit higher than expected, I was aiming for a little over 5% and came out at 6%

Back