James Morton English Pale Ale ( Smash)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His recipes all look amazing,but....... as his friend told him at the time ,they are all far too strong.
What a load of hops he uses also,up to 700g in one of his brews is a bit OTT I would say

ok so 4 months later, and even after a few issues above, the Tropical ended up pretty tasty and was pretty much all consumed at a party on Saturday- at 7.7% there were a few hangovers on Sunday!

the extra IPA ( minus simcoe) turned out great as well but that all went a long time ago!

i would be interested to know how the dialled down version of tropical went? There are plenty of decent session strength juicy IPAs on the market now- a shame this book only has a couple of recipes lower than 6%. the disproportionately Hopped will be next up.

Normally if i am trying a recipe i tend to try to keep exactly to it, because if i make changes and it doesnt come out great i never if its because of those changes. However i have a feeling he may just be using the one hop as he wanted to include a smash recipe in his book. Maybe it can be improved with adding goldings for flavour and aroma? Or maybe that will ruin the balance he has created.

Thoughts anyone?

I've done a challenger pale ale before and it works perfectly as a single hop ale, it's one of my favourite bittering hops but is also great for aroma

Back