James Morton Oatmeal Extra Pale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dellboy78lfc

Reaction score
Having a crack at this next, has anyone else done this one?

Entered the recipe into Brewfather but even though my hops have slightly lower AA% than in the book, the IBU’s are coming out at something like 65 which is miles more than the book says.

Just wanted to hear other people’s experiences with it before I continue!

Entered the recipe into Brewfather but even though my hops have slightly lower AA% than in the book, the IBU’s are coming out at something like 65 which is miles more than the book says.

What is the recipe, if you are going to be using flaked oats I would suggest flaked wheat in a pale beer.
Has he used hop flowers and you are using pellets?

Recipe as follows 20L batch

4kg Maris Otter
400g Rolled oats
400g wheat malt
200g Crystal
20g Citra , 20mins
20g Amarillo, 15mins
20g Citra, 10 mins
20g Amarillo, 5 mins
40g Citra, hopstand
40g Amarillo, hopstand
40g Citra, dry hop

1 pack S-04

You can amend the target IBU using Brewfather and it will adjust your hops accordingly. It may be worth double checking your timings/addition figures etc first just to ensure you've not missed something so obvious that you missed it.

I make that 91 IBU using the AA values in Brewfather. Does the recipe state the AA of the hops per addition? If it does you could reduce the amount in Brewfather to match the recipe.

In Brewfather you likely need to go into settings and adjust your hopstand temperature, it will then adjust the IBU’s based on that; my guess is that it will show you currently hopstanding at flameout temperature.

I make that 91 IBU using the AA values in Brewfather. Does the recipe state the AA of the hops per addition? If it does you could reduce the amount in Brewfather to match the recipe.
It doesn’t state the IBUs for each addition, just says the final beer should come out at 45IBUs!

In Brewfather you likely need to go into settings and adjust your hopstand temperature, it will then adjust the IBU’s based on that; my guess is that it will show you currently hopstanding at flameout temperature.
I have reduced the hopstand temperature to 75°C which has brought down the final IBU to 63 which is still miles too high.

Recipe states 45 BU.
Don't like the look of this recipe or his description of what it looked like when it came second in a competition. It seems a very odd combination of stuff, especially with the crystal.

07938BC8-11C2-4268-9F35-6606A407DCC3.jpeg

Recipe states 45 BU.
Don't like the look of this recipe or his description of what it looked like when it came second in a competition. It seems a very odd combination of stuff, especially with the crystal.
Starting to wish I’d chosen something different now! Already ordered the ingredients though!

Sounds ace to me. Bring the first Citra addition forward until you get close to your ibu target.

Sounds ace to me. Bring the first Citra addition forward until you get close to your ibu target.
I was thinking similar. Maybe reduce some of the earlier additions as well if I need to and chuck them in the dry hop? I’ve had a couple of nice oatmeal pales at the local tap room recently which is why I went for this one.

My post should read "push your first Citra addition back" not forward.

I'm guessing you got the drift.

Last edited:
Starting to wish I’d chosen something different now! Already ordered the ingredients though!
Don't let a miserable feckler like me put you off, I'll be the first (well the second) to rejoice if it comes out gorgeous. I've made some great oatmeal stouts and tried an oatmeal lager last year. The stouts work, but the oaty flavour and mouthfeel in the lager wasn't good. Go for it and let us know what happens. thumb

Ok, so I used the IBU calculator in Brewfather, set my target to 45, and it has reduced the first four 20g additions down to 13g each.

If I do it this way it means I have 14g each of Citra and Amarillo left over. I’m thinking I should chuck ‘em in the dry hop to make the most of the aroma?

Back