Jams, Marmalade, Chutneys, Pickle's & Ferments

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, fantastic! Didn't know that we get mushrooms this time of year. I'm always very wary of fungus; we get horse mushrooms in our lawn, and I can pick a field mushroom and a puffball but that's about it.
Winter chanterelles 👍
I've been a chef for over twenty years so quite happy with the mushrooms I know.
Your right to be nervous as some are deadly!
There's some edibles I can happily identify but don't eat just in case👀

That wild garlic we call onion weed, a noxious introduced species. I had an aunt who kept ducks which would eat the onion weed, could taste it in the eggs.
I have often thought about using it in cooking, doesn't seem to have a season here always seems in flower along the river banks.

That wild garlic we call onion weed, a noxious introduced species. I had an aunt who kept ducks which would eat the onion weed, could taste it in the eggs.
I have often thought about using it in cooking, doesn't seem to have a season here always seems in flower along the river banks.
Is it this stuff?

IMG_20200321_163210.jpg

damn where you live that you still get winter chanterelles?

I got a load of wood ears last week

That^ looks like what we call three cornered leek.

edit: Allium triquetrum , so it is . Use it like spring onions raw or ferment it is best, tends to lose it's flavour when cooked. I don't see it much here in scotland

damn where you live that you still get winter chanterelles?

I got a load of wood ears last week

That^ looks like what we call three cornered leek.

edit: Allium triquetrum , so it is . Use it like spring onions raw or ferment it is best, tends to lose it's flavour when cooked. I don't see it much here in scotland
You beat me to it😂
I'm surprised we're still getting them. Also got a good hit of oysters the other day👍

We get both the most common would be as in the picture 3 cornered leek makes sense, the Latin name is Alum Triquetrum which gives it away.

I do wish JFB you had included cheese in the thread title, we used to have a good cheese making thread on here, I have made a Caerphilly which was easy and turned out great. Would love to get some more incentive to get back into it.
I make oil from these plants, easy to make with hardly any equipment (air pump and baby bottle warmer) If you want something to make you sleep this is the stuff. I give it to my wife, trouble is she keeps waking up.☹
002.JPG

I do wish JFB you had included cheese in the thread title, we used to have a good cheese making thread on here, I have made a Caerphilly which was easy and turned out great. Would love to get some more incentive to get back into it.
I make oil from these plants, easy to make with hardly any equipment (air pump and baby bottle warmer) If you want something to make you sleep this is the stuff. I give it to my wife, trouble is she keeps waking up.☹
View attachment 40616
They look interesting....I grew something similar many years ago..by mistake I might add...from discarded fishing bait.

Well, it appears I’ve got very dry sliced cabbage in a jar. What is the recommended next step; top it up with some brine, Chuck it and start again, or something else?
Make a water solution with 2% salt and try add that👍

They look interesting....I grew something similar many years ago..by mistake I might add...from discarded fishing bait.
A couple of years ago I had a spot check of my firearms, I had a 'cannabis tree' in the garden it was huge. The officer who checked the firearms spotted it, went and had a look and said he had never seen one that big! Then just cleared off.
Or give them to a shaman to eat. Then his kidneys filter the bad and you drink his ****..
Hence the term '******'
I haven't cooked any yet but will do this autumn, not much different to kidney beans they have to be boiled to get rid of the toxins.
https://honest-food.net/eating-santas-shroom/#:~:text=They must be boiled in,set of Italians do this.

A couple of years ago I had a spot check of my firearms, I had a 'cannabis tree' in the garden it was huge. The officer who checked the firearms spotted it, went and had a look and said he had never seen one that big! Then just cleared off.

I haven't cooked any yet but will do this autumn, not much different to kidney beans they have to be boiled to get rid of the toxins.
https://honest-food.net/eating-santas-shroom/#:~:text=They must be boiled in,set of Italians do this.
Good luck👍 all the Boletus mushrooms are in full bloom at the same time as theses so in less your cooking them just out of interest there's no real need.
Would be fun to do though I suppose..

Yeah I'd probably give them a miss too.

Do you eat russulas at all? Always think they are a bit under appreciated by most mushroom pickers, which is fine by me, more to eat

Back