Jams, Marmalade, Chutneys, Pickle's & Ferments

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFB

Landlord.
Reaction score
What have you and families been up to?
Or got a question on what aromatics to put in your Sauerkraut? Do I need pectin for Jackfruit jam? And how about a pineapple Kimchi??
Post herešŸ‘

Some plain sauerkraut i made two weeks ago. Simple 2% salt. Just weigh the cabbage in grams and X by .02šŸ‘
PXL_20210105_191225523.jpg

Stupid question coming up....

I do buy sauerkraut as I got addicted to Reuben sandwiches when visiting the US.
I assumed it was pickled in vinegar?

Is there a liquid added to your method or do you just rely on the salt to pull the moisture out?

For those not familiar with the mighty Rueben Reuben sandwich - Wikipedia
Yes just the salt.
Slice your white cabbage finely. Weigh it.
Times the grams by .02.
Ie 900g X .02 = 18g of salt.
Mix all this in a bowl. Be really rough with it. Good strong squeeze and bash around.
Squeeze all the mixture as firm as you can into jars.
Place loose lids on top and leave for five days. You may need to push the cabbage back down with a clean spoon a couple of time and top with water.
Tighten lids up. Store in fridge and enjoyšŸ‘
I've herd of the Reuben. I'll give it a gošŸ‘

you can ferment sauerkraut for longer if you want it more sour too

I tend to just use a bit of caraway seeds

Last year the very best pickle/lacto fermented pickle I made was from the flower heads of wild garlic. Terrific pickle unlike anything you can buy in the shops. You can also do that with the leaves of course and I also did one with few flowered garlic.

Other than that I grow gherkins and vinegar pickle them as well as chillies.

Jams I tend to do raspberry/tayberry/blueberry from the allotment and wild blackberry

Well I have listed our jams and jelly's we (wife normally) also do a load of chutneys, relishes and pickles (15 at present). Its not that we eat a massive amount of either but just preserve excess produce. This year real stand outs are the Jostaberry chutney- really flavoursome, another was the wife's chilli chutney, one quarter teaspoon and ones physiology changes! (made from last years chilli crop) - it could be with us some time! Another I was pleased with was the pickled foraged walnuts, turned out perfect apart from the vinegar is a bit on the strong side.
I Iike the idea of the pickled wild garlic.

Great thread, and I'll be giving the sauerkraut a gošŸ‘

Made this year's marmalade a couple of weeks ago, and have green tomato and spiced apple chutneys, and damson and greengage jams we made last year and are working our way through. Unfortunately I've finished my habanero and hedge plum sauce ā˜¹ļø

The standout though is the greengage jam from the tree in our garden. The gages are lovely fresh - honey sweet - but they all ripen at once so jam it is!

Mango season over here, unlike my wife, I don't like mango, far too sweet. Will be making spicy mango and peanut chutney. Was a real winner last year. Our pears are almost ready, some of those will be going into a spicy pear chutney. Good timing I am on my last jar.
Got a few Kumquat trees with quite a lot of fruit, my wife is going to make some marmalade.
005.JPG

Last edited:
Mango season over here, unlike my wife, I don't like mango, far too sweet. Will be making spicy mango and peanut chutney. Was a real winner last year. Our pears are almost ready, some of those will be going into a spicy pear chutney. Good timing I am on my last jar.
Got a few Kumquat trees with quite a lot of fruit, my wife is going to make some marmalade.
View attachment 40329
I've been looking for kumquat puree for ages so that I can make a Canadian beer 'Disco Soleil'.
Shame you're on the wrong side of the planet or we could have done a deal!

Last year we made cucumber and dill pickle, sweetcorn relish , picallili ,fermented chilli mango pineapple hot sauce and red onion chutney . This year I'm thinking we need to triple production as it's nearly gone already. Iv made sauerkraut in the past with caraway seeds that turned out well .

My wife and daughter don't like sour things, unfortunately šŸ˜­My wife even asked not to bake sourdough bread anymore
Which is a shame, because I like all those things mentioned in this thread, especially sauerkraut

View attachment 40329
Loving the sound of spicy mango and peanut chutney šŸ˜

Last year the very best pickle/lacto fermented pickle I made was from the flower heads of wild garlic. Terrific pickle unlike anything you can buy in the shops. You can also do that with the leaves of course and I also did one with few flowered garlic.
Not long till wild garlic season nowšŸ˜Š
I fermented ten jars of WG kimchi last year.
We also preseve it as pesto in oil(finished three weeks ago) and make up a big tub of WG butter that we freeze for use on pizza breads stirring into Curry's etc..

Back