Jams, Marmalade, Chutneys, Pickle's & Ferments

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could I trouble you to expand what WG kimchi entails JFB - new one on me.
Wild garlic Kimchi.
Not sure how much you know about Kimchi?
Its a Korean side dish of fermented vegetables.
First off I salted the wild garlic for two hours. Then rinsed clean.
In the meantime I cooked out some rice flour and water. Then added Korean pepper flakes, ginger, garlic, fish sauce and sugar.
This is all mixed with the wild garlic plus some onion and carrot. Basically you can be as creative as you like.
Then you ferment as you would sauerkraut etc.
Tons on the internet about Kimchi. I just substituted wild garlic for the bulk ingredient (normally Napa cabbage).

My kimchi obsession 😊
PXL_20210128_165738719.jpg

Wild garlic Kimchi.
Not sure how much you know about Kimchi?
Its a Korean side dish of fermented vegetables.
First off I salted the wild garlic for two hours. Then rinsed clean.
In the meantime I cooked out some rice flour and water. Then added Korean pepper flakes, ginger, garlic, fish sauce and sugar.
This is all mixed with the wild garlic plus some onion and carrot. Basically you can be as creative as you like.
Then you ferment as you would sauerkraut etc.
Tons on the internet about Kimchi. I just substituted wild garlic for the bulk ingredient (normally Napa cabbage).

Being a little slow and not too bright it was the WG that threw me - I had done a google but have to admit its not something I have ever heard of.

Some plain sauerkraut i made two weeks ago. Simple 2% salt. Just weigh the cabbage in grams and X by .02👍
View attachment 40284

Woo hoo! I absolutely love sauerkraut, and I’m going to have half a white cabbage left over after lunch tomorrow. I know exactly what I’m going to do with it now:hat:

Being a little slow and not too bright it was the WG that threw me - I had done a google but have to admit its not something I have ever heard of.
Thought that may of been the case🤣
Note to self.. Must improve my basic grammar and writing skills😳

You can dig the bulbs up all year but the leaves and flowers won't be out til spring...grows in abundance in most shady woodland.
Can you cook with the bulbs??Not heard much about them before 🤞

Away from fermentation, a few years ago we made a rosehip chutney - it was brilliant - the only downside was the hips had to be scrapped of its seeds, a slow process but the resultant chutney was well worth it. Will make it again when the autumn chores allow

A Hungarian friend told me of a sauerkraut type recipe they make that is done in a barrel .All sorts of veg goes in and as it is used more is added . I'll have to get the recipe from him. .

A Hungarian friend told me of a sauerkraut type recipe they make that is done in a barrel .All sorts of veg goes in and as it is used more is added . I'll have to get the recipe from him. .
I love that kind of thing. There's probably not a recipe.
Freestyling!

Back