Jan 21 Malt Group Buy - Time to Order

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
@chopps @GeorgieV @Cheshire Cat @emerson909 @DavidT @Falco @NPi @PhilBrew @ceborame @Clint @mungi @DavidB @bodger001 @BlackRegent @hoppyscotty @Rogerh @HoppyTommy @Astie @mdex @WonkyDonkey @Kiwigaz @davidm @cjibbo @ches501 @shroppie @BridgeBrew @Rob11TC @MmmBeer @spike @Flan

Hi All, thanks to everyone for your expressions of interest in the original group malt buy.

The timescale we originally set for a Jan/Feb delivery sounded great at the time but Covid threatened to stop us in our tracks. We planned to delay a while, but some members are keen to stock-up sooner rather than later, so we'd like to crack on with the buy with some adjustments to ensure we are all safe and legal.

It's not perfect for everyone but I hope something is better than nothing until the circumstances improve (soon please!)

The original plan was to offer 25kg sacks of base malts along side 3kg packs of speciality malts, which we would weigh out from full sacks. The additional weighing, handling and packing would need a few of us to deal with properly in the kitchen... probably not the best idea right now. So for this next buy we would like to keep orders to full sacks only.
A malt delivery "relay" around the region is also unwise, so for this round we'd like contact-free collection, from Sandbach. You are, of course, free to make your own arrangements to collect on behalf of others if you feel able to do this in a safe way

As soon as it's possible for us to work together to repackage and transport sacks around we can think about another buy and get this going as we really intended. We are also hoping to include hops and, of course 3kg of malt lots in future buying rounds

2021 prices have changed but they still look pretty great. The good news is that we can now access the complete range of malts, rather than just the most popular ones. Prices below per 25kg sack

1610054836759.png

Please DM your order to @Obadiah Boondoggle who will reply with payment details.

We will close off the order with the supplier on 29th January so please let us have your order by 27th January at the latest and everything will be delivered on pallets to OB's place.

We will advise once your sacks are ready for pick up.

Any questions, please let us know!

Cheers

Thanks for the heads up OB, will it be from the same supplier as before? And are the prices VAT free?

Surely it won't be covered under essential travel?
It’s a foodstuff, but honestly the expectation is that this round, more distant members might not want to order for that reason. For the more local members it’s just another contactless food pickup on your way to the supermarket. You would have to decide if it’s safe for you, or hang on until next time.

OB I've got a conscience problem in traveling the 25 miles at a time when me and others are critical of those who are flouting the lockdown rules. I'll wait to see if things change if they don't I'll have to miss this round.
Sorry.
CC

OB I've got a conscience problem in traveling the 25 miles at a time when me and others are critical of those who are flouting the lockdown rules. I'll wait to see if things change if they don't I'll have to miss this round.
Sorry.
CC
Hi CC

Thanks for your response here, we debated this long and hard and totally understand your views here

Best Wishes

OB
Hi @Obadiah Boondoggle and @chopps

For planning purposes, how frequently are these group purchases likely to run? If end-Jan/early-Feb is too soon for some, when will the next opportunity be?

Cheers, PhilB
Hi Phil

Our plan is every 3 months - the last one was late October

Best Wishes

... also, for those undecided ... I (re)found @cjibbo's post in another thread giving the malt specs for those available ... so if anyone else is having trouble deciding whether they should go for Super, Craft, BlendMO or Maris Otter Pale Malt, well at least they have the specs to see what the differences ought to be ...
Also in researching I came across Muntons malt guide for anyone interested.

https://www.muntons.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Muntons-Brewers-Guide.pdf

OB, pencil me in for 2 sacks for now ... and I'll DM you my order once I've spent the weekend perusing the Munton's Malt catalogue athumb..

Cheers, PhilB

I'm still keen for a few sacks, my plan is to get a years worth of pale malt, probably MO. I will be back with my exact order at some point this weekend. How do we pay ??

Mick
Hi Mick

Once you let me have your order I will pm you with a confirmation of the amount plus details of how to pay. To be as contactless as possible we would prefer bank transfer but if this is a real issue for anyone we could agree something else in a private message

We are closing orders on 27th Jan and will be paying for the stock on 29th Jan

So ideally a transfer sometime between these dates

Back