January 2021 comp - American pale ales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure I've already posted elsewhere on the forum, but in case anyone is interested, here's my recipe for the westie.
Brewed on 30th Dec. Kegged on the 9th Jan and the bottles would have been filled a week or so later.

For a 28L batch at 1.059 OG and 64 IBUs I used:-

Sulphate heavy water Profile;

Screenshot_20210207-161610_BeerSmith 3.jpg

6kg (70.5%) Golden promise
2kg (23.5%) Low colour Golden promise
0.5kg (6%) Caragold

Mashed at 65C

60 mins - 10g each citra & columbus
10 mins - 40g each citra & simcoe
WP 20mins at 75C - 60g each citra & simcoe

2pks US-05
Fermentation started at 17C, rising to 21C

DH 4 days - 100g each citra simcoe & chinook

Finished at 1.012 for 6.2% ABV
acheers.

Last edited:
Sure I've already posted elsewhere on the forum, but in case anyone is interested, here's my recipe for the westie.
Brewed on 30th Dec. Kegged on the 9th Jan and the bottles would have been filled a week or so later.

View attachment 41073

0.5kg (6%) Caragold

Mashed at 65C

2pks US-05

acheers.
That sounds like a solid recipe, what is low colour GP?

Congrats everyone and thanks Phildo, that was a pretty tight race.

View attachment 41073

0.5kg (6%) Caragold

Mashed at 65C

2pks US-05

acheers.
Congratulations, @dan125 , on winning this category, especially with such a large field. I'd like to taste this beer so I'm going to make some. Could I ask you to clarify, which version of Caragold you used: the one supplied by HBC is from Château maltings in Belgium at 120 EBC, while the one supplied by GEB is Crisp's at 12 EBC. Many thanks.
Brewers should be aware of this difference. Not that we tend to use Caragold much.

Congratulations, @dan125 , on winning this category, especially with such a large field. I'd like to taste this beer so I'm going to make some. Could I ask you to clarify, which version of Caragold you used: the one supplied by HBC is from Château maltings in Belgium at 120 EBC, while the one supplied by GEB is Crisp'ws at 12 EBC. Many thanks.
Brewers should be aware of this difference. Not that we tend to use Caragold much.

I used the Crisp Caragold at 12 ebc - to leave the beer nice and pale... I'll try to remember to add a photo when I drink the last bottle later, but it was at the very low end of the colour scale for an AIPA.
Screenshot_20210210-084513_BeerSmith 3.jpg

A couple of questions about sending beer, if I may:

Do you guys just use normal Royal Mail parcel post? My understanding is that do not like you sending liquids through the post at all, I have lied through my back teeth in the local post office before now!

Do you put a bottle in as cardboard box with a bit of packing?

And also, do you 'double-bottle' to try to overcome the sediment being disturbed in transit, or would that tend to lead to flat beer?

A couple of questions about sending beer, if I may:

Do you guys just use normal Royal Mail parcel post? My understanding is that do not like you sending liquids through the post at all, I have lied through my back teeth in the local post office before now!

Do you put a bottle in as cardboard box with a bit of packing?

And also, do you 'double-bottle' to try to overcome the sediment being disturbed in transit, or would that tend to lead to flat beer?
No need to lie, posting beer is fineđź‘Ť
I double bag, no idea about double bottle?

I’m guessing “double-bottle” means bottle condition and then decant into another bottle leaving the sediment behind? I guess you could do this if you bottled 500ml and re-bottled in 330ml bottles but yes you would lose a lot of the carbonation. If you chill to about freezing before the transfer you’d minimise loss of CO2.

Most people either send the original bottle-conditioned ale (the recipient will allow this to settle and then pour carefully if they don’t want the sediment) or people bottle from keg where the sediment has already dropped out (mostly).

Last edited:
I’m guessing “double-bottle” means bottle condition and then decant into another bottle leaving the sediment behind? I guess you could do this if you bottled 500ml and re-bottled in 330ml bottles but yes you would loose a lot of the carbonation. If you chill to about freezing before the transfer you’d minimise loss of CO2.

Most people either send the original bottle-conditioned ale (the recipient will allow this to settle and then pour carefully if they don’t want the sediment) or people bottle from keg where the sediment has already dropped out (mostly).
Yep, just bottle as you usually would and send it off. 'Double bottling' sounds like a nightmare.

Exactly, Hazelwood. Thanks a lot, guys. I have thinking abut sending some beer to my son, who I haven't seen for a long time (like lots of families).

I haven't 'double-bottled' and was dubious about it, so I shan't bother with that now, thanks. I'm sure I've been asked in the past in the PO if parcels contained any liquid, though.

I just tell them it contains glass... Don't go over a certain weight per package though, it'll cost you a bomb!

Exactly, Hazelwood. Thanks a lot, guys. I have thinking abut sending some beer to my son, who I haven't seen for a long time (like lots of families).

I haven't 'double-bottled' and was dubious about it, so I shan't bother with that now, thanks. I'm sure I've been asked in the past in the PO if parcels contained any liquid, though.

It’s best to use plastic (PET) beer bottles to send beer through the post. They are lightweight and strong so require less protective packaging and are less expensive to send. The post office allows up to 1 litre of beer. As long as your package is about shoe box size and no more than 2Kg it’s £3.20 second class.

Back