January Brew and Swap - American Cream Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get the impression that is this the style. Early American beer tend is a lot like this. Not saying it's a bad thing at all and it certainly has its place. I normally have a Kölsch as a permanent tap in the garage. But this could be a challenger if all goes well

Oh for sure has a place, since I started brewing I've definitely wanted to branch out and brew/drink things that I wouldnt have necessarily bought before. This style probably being one of them.

I know, it's a tricky one, I read up about the history and went for a pre prohibition cream ale which was supposedly stronger and hoppier but like you, have no idea about it really. I think mine will still be a bit bland.
Looks like you have
This was mine though I only put 100g wheat in and added 100g pilsner 100g sugar to dry it out a bit. Yeast was cml kolsch its going to end up around 5.3%.
View attachment 61284
Do you know what the IBU of your brew is? I also read somewhere about the difference with current and earlier versions. Will be interesting to see how yours differs with the extra hops at different stages. 👍

Looks like you have
Do you know what the IBU of your brew is? I also read somewhere about the difference with current and earlier versions. Will be interesting to see how yours differs with the extra hops at different stages. 👍

IBU only 17, but as you say, added at slightly different times. Yeah looking forward to trying other 'versions' . 👍

Just pulled the first glass. First impressions aren't great if I'm honest. I like the colour, not so much the clarity. The flavour needs something... Or has something... Who knows. Let's see if time and carbonation are our friends.
PXL_20220117_183555872.MP.jpg

Just bottled my Cream Ale....think will name it Crystal Cream (very unimaginative😂😂). Naturally I had a sample and was initially very disappointed with the taste, or rather lack of. It was at 3oC, and when I finished the glass after bottling it had warmed slightly and had a bit more flavor. Hopefully a few weeks conditioning will improve it. Thinking that Crystal hops may not be to my taste. On the plus side, am happy with clarity, and this should only get better once carbed👍.

As I had cold crashed, when working out sugar weight I was a bit stumped as the calculator asked for beer temp. I only crashed for 2-3 days and didn't have CO2 to add, so was a bit lost as to play it here. Decided to lower my target CO2 volume to 2.6 and used a temp of 15oC. Am hoping that if I underestimated then I'll get closer to the 2.8 I decided to go for. Will see. Hopefully I won't have an over carbed batch 🙄.

Attachments

• IMG_20220118_140645583.jpg
    IMG_20220118_140645583.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 18
PXL_20220122_200147420.PORTRAIT.jpg

Put this little sod up to 20psi to try and force some fun into it and now I see what this is all about. This is exactly as it says on the tin. I just put the mower about at 2030 so that I can fully appreciate it!

Never made a beer that was so reliant on carbonation, complete change of impression from it.

20220128_192302.jpg

Mine seems to be coming along nicely. Just kicked off the cold crash and will be kegging Tuesday evening.

Very pale in colour with a lot of yeast still in suspension at the moment, which is apparently quite normal for the German Ale yeast I've used. Tastes quite good so far though, definite lager vibes but with some interesting background notes from the yeast and hops.

20220129_173010.jpg

First tasting, nice pop as it opens, nice herby sort of aroma, light bodied, lightly buttered, tastes as it smells. But and it's a big but.. its not carbonated a little fizz on the tongue, very dissapointing. 😐

Is there going to be a February swap? I'm wanting to share a bit more with members. Will probably mean I have to downgrade to plastic bottles so I can afford to send, but that's ok! :D
The next brew and swap is planned for spring, brewing March/April for an end of May swap. The next style up is Belgian Blonde, so you've plenty of time to get researching recipes if you to take part.
But the really good news is I‘m going to send you a bottle of V2 of my cream ale attempt to tide you over until the lagers are ready!
I always bottle a few in PET, partly to see how carbonation is coming in, but mostly for posting out.

The next brew and swap is planned for spring, brewing March/April for an end of May swap. The next style up is Belgian Blonde, so you've plenty of time to get researching recipes if you to take part.
But the really good news is I‘m going to send you a bottle of V2 of my cream ale attempt to tide you over until the lagers are ready!
I always bottle a few in PET, partly to see how carbonation is coming in, but mostly for posting out.
I am all over this one

Back