January Competition - American Pale Ales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4 beers received now. Still time to get your entries in, must be loads of you brewers out there with an American pale ale.......acheers.
Right this second working on a NEIPA after my failed IIPA submission.

Here's hoping it'll be ready and done for the 9th if I get a few things right...

If you don't mind a late entry I can send an AIPA at the start of next week? Would be with you before judging day

Meanwhile in a dirty sweat dungeon, tasting commences...:laugh8:
Tasting was undertaken in most civilised surroundings I'll have you know. Sort of. o_O

We've really enjoyed the judging this evening. I'll post the results tomorrow/ later today. :hat:

And in first place.....drumroll.....:
Ghillie with an IPA
42/48
This was unanimously voted no.1. Even our non beer drinking partners enjoyed it.
I think 'balance' is the key to this beer. Everything works beautifully together. Would love to see the recipe, in particular the water profile .
:hat:

Last edited:
I'll pm all entrants with more detailed feedback. Thanks once again everyone, really enjoyed all the beers. Of the 6 samples there were only 5 points between 2nd and 6th place

I snuck one of my own in for comparisons' sake and I came last! asad1

Sorry everyone, just realised we scored mouthfeel out of 3 not 5! ashock1:roll:

I'll edit PMs and adjust above posts out of 48 total score

Thanks for the feedback @Oneflewover, delighted with it! And a very well done to @BeerCat and @IainM!

Here is the judging comments:

"Aroma:
Sweet, fragrant, fruity, citrusy. A delight. 10.5/12

Appearance:
Beautiful amber colour. Crystal clear. Lovely fluffy white head and lacing. 3/3

Flavour:
Fruity, flowery, citrus. You got the malt to really sing too - hints of toffee and caramel. Touch of sweetness and a bit of tartness. Balanced bitterness. Delicious. 16.5/20

Mouthfeel: ( sorry, we marked out of 3 rather than 5)
My co-judge described it "gentle on the palate". I get what he means. Carbonation perfect. Body balanced excellently with other aspects of the beer. 3/3

Overall impression:
Excellent, really drinkable. Very well liked by everyone who sampled it. Congratulations! 9/10"

And the recipe:

Screenshot_20190211-104037.jpg

Screenshot_20190211-104057.jpg

**Note, the recipe I made for the comp never had lager malt in it, this is a change I have made for the next batch. It was 5.3kg pale malt and 0.2kg caramalt only for this competition's beer.**

Mash temp: 66C for 60 minutes.

Mash out temp: 76C for 10 minutes.

Fermentation temp: 19.5C (0.5C differential) for 3 weeks.

Carbonation: 2.7vols (kegged).

Fined with gelatin at -1C for 3 days.

This was my first time making such an aggressive S04/Cl- ratio, and I think it helps the hops come through a lot more. I'm certain DH adds flavour too, maybe it's the old "an onion is tasteless whilst holding your nose" carry on. But, anyway...

Ca: 119
Mg: 2 (did not adjust)
Na: 25
S04: 250
Cl-: 50

Mash pH: 5.25

Thanks a lot again, delighted with the result:D

Back