January Competition - American Pale Ales

Discussion in 'Meetups, Competitions and Events.' started by Oneflewover, Jan 11, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Feb 11, 2019 #41

Oneflewover

Oneflewover

Oneflewover

Landlord.

Very interesting, didn't pick up the Columbus at all. A very underrated hop in my opinion, but I didn't get that dank pine flavour in the beer.

That water profile is unexpected too. Certainly got the hops to shine, but perhaps would have expected more bitterness.

Can't quite figure how you got that moreish caramel / toffee note either from such a straightforward grist!

2. Feb 11, 2019 #42

BeerCat

BeerCat

BeerCat

Landlord.

East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
    Here is the feedback from mine.

Aroma:
    Citrus and pineapple. Lovely and fresh. Really inviting. 10.5/12

Appearance:
    Pale straw colour, nicely hazy appropriate to style. Excellent fluffy white head that lasted well. Beautiful. 3/3

Flavour:
    Followed through on the promise of the aroma; citrus, fresh. A little tartness that worked well. Restrained bitterness. Very good. 13/20

Mouthfeel: (sorry, marked out of 3 rather than 5, oops)
    Carbonation perfect. Soft on the pallete then cleansed by the tartness. Excellent. 2.5/3

Overall impression:
    A very competent beer, really appreciated by all who sampled it. I think the no boil really worked with the style. 7/10

Ghillie likes this.
  3. Feb 11, 2019 #43

Ghillie

Ghillie

Ghillie

Landlord. Supporting Member

I think overall there are fairly minimal boil additions. I can see it being quite an empty beer without the massive DH?

It's an interesting one about the sulphate to chloride ratios. Apparently they make the bitterness more pronounced. I'm not enough of a taste expert to comment though.

No idea about the toffee or caramel note, in all honesty I though the caramalt in just for colour!

4. Feb 11, 2019 #44

RichardM

RichardM

RichardM

Here's my recipe
    upload_2019-2-11_22-11-36.png

and my feedback
    Aroma:
    Nice citrusy aroma, makes you want to dive on. A little yeasty? Not off-putting, just a bit unexpected. 8/12

Appearance:
    Appealing amber colour. A little haze. Good fluffy head that stuck around. 2/3

Flavour:
    Very drinkable. Malt wall balanced with hop bitterness. There is that slight yeasty flavour there on the palate. 13/20

Mouthfeel:
    Well carbonated. Moderate body that works well with the malt and hop flavours. 2.5/3

Overall impression:
    Described as easy-drinking by one judge. A very nice beer. 7/10

Total 32.5/48

We all enjoyed this beer. Wondering whether the haze was from a little yeast that hadn't quite fallen out of suspension and contributed to slight issues with the aroma and flavour? Obviously plenty of hops in there that could result in haze!

5. Feb 12, 2019 #45

IainM

IainM

IainM

Syphon-sucking bag squeezer

My recipe is in my brew day thread.

Hi Iain. Thanks again for sending. This is a style that I have come to really appreciate, and your offering was a really good example in my humble opinion. Aroma: It always kind of takes the senses by surprise to pour a dark beer and then get that hop explosion - citrus and tropical fruit in abundance. Wonderful aroma. 9.5/12 Appearance: This split opinion I am afraid. My co-judge thought the colour was a little restrained for a BIPA. Good head and lacing that hung around. Yeast a little loose and a very careful pour was needed. 1.5 / 3 Flavour: Very nice indeed. Clearly tons of hops in there. Great complexity. Delivered what the aroma had promised. Lingering bitterness, perhaps a little too assertive? 13/20 Mouthfeel: ( sorry, marked out of 3 rather than 5, oops) Yep, no problems there. Carbonation just right. Body spot on for style. 2.5/3 Overall impression: Very enjoyable indeed. I'd have had another if I'd had it to hand! 6.5/10

Ghillie likes this.