January Forum Comp - American Pale Ales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also my hoppy citra beer tastes like a brut IPA and my winter ale tastes like a Belgian dubbel something seems to be working overtime in the background.

Hey Ghillie keen to send one maybe two brews for this.

Could you PM an address please?

Hello all,

First off wishing everyone at the HBF a very Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year!

I understand this thread is early, but with everyone being busy over the festivities, etc - I'd be as well posting it in good time, ahead of schedule.

As per tradition, feel free to post what you like here and contact me via message for postage details.

Judging will likely be the weekend of 8th/9th February due to work commitments; subject to change depending on @Ray1314's availability for co-judging. There will be a little something for 1st place also, alongside scored feedback for all participants.

I look forward to trying some banging beers!

ATB everyone,
Ghillie
Is the cut-off date January 31st?

Alright I think for this one I'll submit my Mosaic NEIPA. About a week in the keg and it's delicious. Will bottle one tonight and let it sit in the fridge a few days to see if it holds up.

Ghillie are you up for tasting a couple more. I have the one that has the diastaticus issue and I am curious if you taste the same thing I do? I also have a west coast IPA with citra that's aging very nicely.

Alright I think for this one I'll submit my Mosaic NEIPA. About a week in the keg and it's delicious. Will bottle one tonight and let it sit in the fridge a few days to see if it holds up.

Ghillie are you up for tasting a couple more. I have the one that has the diastaticus issue and I am curious if you taste the same thing I do? I also have a west coast IPA with citra that's aging very nicely.
Happy to sample as many or as few as you like. But obviously only one entry can be entered into the competition.

Last taste test this weekend before sending. I made the mistake of entering the last pale ale comp without tasting. The beer got slaughtered aheadbutt and rightly so.

Think I will keg my brew tonight. Have a cheeky taste, obviously, and pull off a bottle. Leave it for a week before pouring a sample. I have only ever made one pale ale of this 'style' before and it took 3 weeks to come good. The only other pale ale I have made is a clone of Zombie Dust, twice. I remember popping a bottle of ZD just 11 days after brew day and it was lovely. However it is a beer with an enormous amount of hops for the volume. This Mosaic/CTZ pale has nowhere near the amount of dry hops. I am wondering if all those dry hops in the ZD have masked the greenness of the beer.

Think I will keg my brew tonight. Have a cheeky taste, obviously, and pull off a bottle. Leave it for a week before pouring a sample. I have only ever made one pale ale of this 'style' before and it took 3 weeks to come good. The only other pale ale I have made is a clone of Zombie Dust, twice. I remember popping a bottle of ZD just 11 days after brew day and it was lovely. However it is a beer with an enormous amount of hops for the volume. This Mosaic/CTZ pale has nowhere near the amount of dry hops. I am wondering if all those dry hops in the ZD have masked the greenness of the beer.
Time is on your side then as you have around three weeks till judging.

I wouldn’t worry about green beers in that style. I’ve made some pales with huge amounts of DH and all hop burn was gone in about a week or less.

The fresher the better for pales IMO.

Hey Ghillie - I'm gonna enter my first comp, could you p.m. your address details? Cheers!

I didn't pull off a bottle last night. If I bottle from the keg, how long will it last before it starts to degrade?

Planning on sending the package this weekend. Is there a preferred carrier for beer shipments?

I still can't decide which to send in for the comp? I apparently brew too many American pale ales.

I didn't pull off a bottle last night. If I bottle from the keg, how long will it last before it starts to degrade?
I've had some last for a couple months and taste just fine. I try to fill to the brim though seems to hold the carb levels better.

Last ? What type of labeling do you typically do. Just beer style? Any other info needed if bottle conditioned, recipe etc..?

edit: should have read

Bottles must contain:

The brewers name

Forum alias

Name of beer

Style

ABV%

Its not necessary, but the participant may include any other information such as IBU, OG, FG etc. This will not score any extra points though.

Back