January Forum Comp - American Pale Ales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had one of my DIPAs last night and the hop aroma is almost completely gone. I'm actually amazed at how fast it went, I thought I might be getting a cold or something. I'll have to time my next one to be at prime hoppiness for competition.

This is interesting. I've been thinking about developing a more deliberate approach to preparing for competitions. There are many, many beers that improve with age (to a point), whilst others (like IPAs and heffeweissen) that peak much sooner.

Too often, if I have 22Lt in my FV this really equates to a full corny of clean beer - and I don't bottle any.

I think that I need to have the discipline of bottling 10-15 of every brew. Over time this should mean that I always have available beers to easily offer, and across a range of styles.

Dunno if it might be worth having a thread on competition approaches? split off from here? What do you think @Chippy_Tea

MArtin

Having come joint first in this, my first ever competition, I was kindly sent a large pack of Summit hops and two packs of S-04 yeast as a prize. I use S-04 often but I’d never used Summit before. I looked for some recipes on BF and worked up something with the grain I had available to make use of the hops. On 7th March I knocked up a BIAB Summit pale ale. This was kegged on 21st March and, although needs a bit more time to clear, I had my first pint tonight and was very pleasantly surprised. Thanks @Ghillie for organising and judging this completion, and for my prize. Very much appreciated. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back