Jester Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My eye for a bargain forced me to buy 100g Jester hops from Worcester Hop Shop on Friday as they were only £1.50 and I was placing an order anyway. I can’t find a lot on info one them though. Possibly the best thing to make is a single hop brew to try them but if anyone has any other suggestions I’d be grateful.

They're a very unusual hop and I think you'll either like them or hate them. I use them in a pale ale or bitter, late in the boil and at flameout where they give a sort of strange tropical edge to the beer. I'd suggest quite high attenuation and not too sweet a malt profile. Give them a try with a small batch. There are a few derivatives like Olicana and others. I think these hops have been bred to try to challenge the big American IPA hops, but they're in quite a different category, in my opinion.
Oh, I ferment mine with yeast harvested from Adnams and I like the beer. I've made a couple of batches now and have one lot conditioning.

Edit:
There's already a thread dealing with Jester, I think, although Jester might not be in the title. I recall that some contributors didn't like them at all.

They're a very unusual hop and I think you'll either like them or hate them. I use them in a pale ale or bitter, late in the boil and at flameout where they give a sort of strange tropical edge to the beer. I'd suggest quite high attenuation and not too sweet a malt profile. Give them a try with a small batch. There are a few derivatives like Olicana and others. I think these hops have been bred to try to challenge the big American IPA hops, but they're in quite a different category, in my opinion.
Oh, I ferment mine with yeast harvested from Adnams and I like the beer. I've made a couple of batches now and have one lot conditioning.

Edit:
There's already a thread dealing with Jester, I think, although Jester might not be in the title. I recall that some contributors didn't like them at all.

That’s very helpful, thank you.

I had a bottle of Jester IPA from Marks and Spencer yesterday. It is one of a series of single hop beers they have (Citra, Mosaic and Amarillo are the others). It's brewed by Adnams and described having "soft gooseberry, lychee and grapefruit notes.
I enjoyed it and thought I might make a pale ale with some.

Latest posts

Back