Jet Black Heart Yeast Selection

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamsideBrew

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am looking at brewing up some JBH from the DIYDOG book, I'm just ordering stuff from Malt Miller but can't seem to find Wyeast 1056 (recipe guided yeast), can anyone recommend an alternative??

Thanks!

Clean and crisp maybe so 5 or notts ?

It's in tesco atm for 1.32 a bottle for me right into milk stouts

How much was your stout I'm looking at the beatnik stout no 173

This'll be my first go at a stout, was looking to get it brewed up and condition until winter. The all grain recipe kit is about £9 on Malt Miller + yeast and delivery.

1056 is the same as Whitelabs WLP001 if you want liquid yeast and US-05 if you are happy with dries.

Other suitable alternatives would be Danstar West Coast Ale and Mangrove Jack West Coast.

Simon82 has it spot on. As a side not the chico strains 1056/WLP001/US-05 are good warm weather strains to use as they can be used up to about 25C although I've read US-05 can give a peachy ester flavour at that temp (and curiously enough at low temps at about 15C but not in the normal ale temp range of about 17C-21C). I'm buying some WLP001 for this week for my warm weathe strain thisd summer. I used Mauribrew 514 last summer

Going to go with the US-05, I'll let you know how it turns out......may have to wait a while though as I am "planning" on leaving this until winter to condition.

Latest posts

Back