This is an underestimated approach, I think. I did a few like this using Coopers kits and 2.5kg or so of grain and they turn out very acceptable indeed.First mini-mash brew day.
1.7 kg - Coopers Brew A IPA
2 kg - United Kingdom - Golden Promise
0.2 kg - Torrified Wheat (4.3%)
0.2 kg - United Kingdom - Crystal 50L (4.3%)
23 g - Styrian Goldings, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 5.5, Use: Boil for 15 min (should have been 25g, but only had 23 left)
50 g - Cascade, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 0 min
50 g - Cascade, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 7, Use: Hop tea after 5 days
Yeast ~ CML US Pale Ale
Mashed the grains at 63 deg in 8 litres of Aldi Aqueo still spring water for 50 mins. Raised up to 70 deg for last 10 mins and dunk sparged.
Fermenting @ 20 deg C
By my calculations, should have hit 1046, and actually hit 1042 ~ not to bad. Pitched the yeast at 26, but the brew fridge is rapidly cooling it down. More later - got to pick up kids from school.
I've noticed the same thing with CML yeast, it starts bubbling through the airlock very quickly, but usually finishes after 2-3 days. I think you're wise to leave it for the full 2 weeks. Take a hydrometer reading, as I have had a few brews that stuck around 1.020, they usually ended up quite palatable though.I've gone into more detail on my blog, but it looks like the CML yeast has finished already! Still going to wait the usual 2 weeks before packaging though.
I haven't had a beer finish below 1010 since I moved on from kit and kilo.Packaged this today into a King Keg with a solution of boiled water / 75g of sugar. I looked to have totally got away with the hop tea container falling into the FV, and the beer tastes good, with no off flavours. In fact it doesn't taste good, it tastes fantastic. If you have ever had Aldi / Marstons 'Wild Bills IPA' it isn't to dissimilar to that in colour and bitterness, with similar hop aroma and flavour, but obviously different because of the different hops used. Considering this is a modified kit, I extremely pleased.
On another note, I did some testing with my two hydrometers in pure water at their calibrated temperatures, and they both read read out. Given that, the adjusted OG and FG are 1043 & 1010, so this hasn't finished as low as I thought ( I predicted 1008), but after priming, it will be just under 4.5%, which is fine for me.