marshbrewers brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My EKG user upper was dry hopped with 54g if EKG pellets. Before I did this I took a sample, and it tastes great. Hoppy, bitter, smooth. Very very drinkable. The CML høg-norsk yeast appears to be really neutral, perhaps a very very slight pepper taste, but that may be the hops? I'll bottle next weekend, I think.

First brew day in ages, and I really enjoyed it. It's a progression of my house mild recipe, this time brewed with CML Celtic yeast.

Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 19 liters (fermentor volume)
Original Gravity: 1.036
Final Gravity: 1.008

FERMENTABLES:
2.2 kg - Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (71.4%)
120 g - CaraRed (3.9%)
120 g - Chocolate (3.9%)
120 g - Amber (3.9%)
60 g - American - Black Malt (1.9%)
400 g - Belgian Candi Syrup - Golden (5L) - (late addition) (13%) (edited for clarity - I use golden syrup but this is the nearest thing in the brewers friend database)
61 g - Molasses - (late addition) (2%)

HOPS:
20 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 17.13
25 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: ???

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Strike, Temp: 68 C, Time: 60 min, Amount: 9.2 L
2) Sparge, Temp: 76 C, Time: 15 min, Amount: 20.3 L
Starting Mash Thickness: 3.5 L/kg

YEAST:
Crossmyloof BEòIR yeast (rehydrated)

Brew day went well, hit somewhere between 1035 & 1036 and bang on 19L.

Sample tasted promising so let's see what the BEòIR yeast can do!

Last edited:
It's off! I knew the threat of another yeast would make it pull it's socks up.

I've also edited the original recipe post to reflect the fact I use golden syrup in my mild. The Candi syrup listed is just the nearest thing in the brewers friend database.

Can you edit the Brewers Fiend database? If you can GS has a potential extract of 1.038. I use brewmate so was able to add GS into it's database

You can indeed add your own custom fermentables, and I found a really great website that had the potential extract and EBC / colour of a whole raft of 'supermarket' sugars ( golden syrup, black treacle, etc etc) and added golden syrup from that. However, I don't know what I did, but it's disappeared from my brewers friend profile, and like an idiot I managed to loose the link to the website with all the colour data! DOH!

Day 8 and the mild is down to a slightly high 1011°, so I've ramped the fermentation fridge up to 19.5 for the last few days to see if it will drop any more. The sample is really lovely, and if this is the final gravity it's about 3.3% after priming, which is fine for a mild. I'm bottling this one, however, so I'm not taking any risks. If it stays where it is, it gives an attention of 68%, which according to CML is low for this yeast. I did mash fairly high, however.

I barrelled this today after 5+ weeks in the primary (don't ask!). Tastes ace and is lovely and clear. Will it carb up in time for Christmas? We shall have to see!

Hopefully, this will be the last brew that I have to put either into King Kegs or bottles as Santa may well be bringing me a Corny keg. acheers.

I barrelled this today after 5+ weeks in the primary (don't ask!). Tastes ace and is lovely and clear. Will it carb up in time for Christmas? We shall have to see!

Hopefully, this will be the last brew that I have to put either into King Kegs or bottles as Santa may well be bringing me a Corny keg. acheers.
What final gravity did it reach?

Latest posts

Back