JOAM Clearing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, need some advice please!

I racked my JAOM to secondary after 10 weeks - when the fruit dropped and the mead was fairly clear. However I picked up some sediment in the racking process and my secondary didn't clear after another 3 weeks, despite being in my attic at temperatures of between 4 and 10 degrees C. I racked again on Friday night and degassed a little, in the hope that I'll see it clearing more, but I'm worried that the large headspace could cause problems.

There's about 4 litres in a 5 litre carboy. There is some degassing going on, so I'm fairly confident that there's a CO2 blanket on the mead.

Should I give it another week or 2? Add finnings? Or just bottle? By the way, the specific gravity has been a consistent 0.998 for a few weeks.

Thanks in advance!

I find mead will clear without finings but very very slowly. Personally I’d leave it for a while longer in the carboy before bottling, it won’t do any harm. Or you could bottle and keep them upright, but you’ll have more sediment in the bottle when it does clear

Never racked a JAOM except to make bottling easier.

Bit of sediment won't hurt anything. Excessive air space in a secondary will.

All the Best,
D. White

Latest posts

Back