Jockey Box

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was toying with the idea of using a Jockey Box to cool my beer . I already have a fermenting fridge but it seems to always have a brew in it as i ferment and brew in the Garage . My Missus has said no more fridges in the garage as we already have a fridge freezer there too.
I as was wondering if Jockey Boxes are a viable option does anyone have any experience of them

I do my fermenting in my study so a permanent fridge was not on the cards. After struggling with no temp control I decided on a internal stainless steel coil in the FV with the chilled water supplied via a cool box using ice blocks.
I used a small (matchbox size) aquarium pump in the cool box to circulate the water through the coil via some silicone tubing.
Temp is controlled via an Inkbird with a 12inch probe directly into the wort. (you could also use a thermowell). I generally only need to cool but do have a heater belt if needed. For warm temp yeasts you can add a aquarium heater to the cool box to supply hot water.
Dependent on weather I change the blocks once or twice a day.
Always wise to get a couple of spare pumps as whilst they last for quite a while (at least a year) they do stop all of a sudden so good to have a spare. Also extra tubing as this can get a bit mucky over time and may need replacing now and then.
Overall it works really well.
I'll put some pictures up later

Latest posts

Back