John Bull - Apple cider Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDan

Landlord.
Reaction score
Did this kit some time ago, no notes so I am going from memory.

Made up as per instructions with brewing sugar, only difference was I made it up to around the 20L mark to fit in a cornie. I seem to remember using bottled mineral water on this one (Ashbeck), used the supplied yeast.

Eggy smell as usual while fermenting, temps were fine, I believe it took roughly 2- 3 weeks, I then transferred it to a cornie. I am unsure on what the OG and FG were but I think it ended up around the 5.5% mark.

It was fairly clear, had next to no taste at all, I may as well have put food colouring in some water and drank that...but I thought maybe it will improve with age.

Over the course of a couple of months I would draw the occasional sample to see if there was any progress...none, it was about to go down the sink, but then I went out and bought a litre of apple juice concentrate (the usual type you would mix with water to make a squash) , doing this actually gave it an apple taste, although it was an artificaial one at that. I didnt enjoy this at all, a couple of people liked it, but it became cloudy, and too artificial.

I would not suggest making this kit, its by far the wrost I have done to date :sick: . I would rather make a TC

hmmm, im making this at the moment.

im new to the homebrew side and this came with the kit i found on ebay. all seems to be going well so far, 5.5% and ive got it bottled at room temperature at the moment.
it took around 9 days to stop brewing, racked it and took another 3 days to stop firmenting again, not sure why it started going again!

i must say it tasted pretty acidic when i bottled it but ask me again in three weeks and ill see if its any better! bloody hope so.

I brewed this as my 1st kit. I brewed it to 19L with brewing sugar as that was one of the options in the instructions which suggested an ABV of around 7%. I had read several comments that brewed to 23L it was rather insipid, and TBH I wasn't expecting much from it, I still have a couple of bottles of it and think its very drinkable. It has a very crisp and clean flavour and is very dry, it has improved with ageing (it was brewed in June) and no longer tastes anywhere near as acidic. I think I do prefer the TC which I made but its not at all bad IMO.

Made this Kit mid January, Once fermented ABV 5.5%
Now in pressure Barrel, left to condition for 3 weeks. Had a sample couple of pints. Very clear Cider but flat, Crisp and dry.
Must have gone wrong with the priming. It OK flat as I am used to Somerset farmhouse Cider. Now making Turbo Cider. :cheers: :party:

Made John Bull "Country Cider" earlier in the year, did it all as per the kit, put about 5 litres less water that what they said.... Well its months on now and like the Magnum Strawberry I also did at the time, its thin & tasteless! Plenty of alco strength but not pleased at all with the lack of flavour and what flavour there is its no cider to me!.
Just occurred to me, I used cold water straight from the tap, perhaps the **** in our water supply has affected both batches?? Anyhow, tasteless **** both of them! :sad:

Did this kit some time ago, no notes so I am going from memory.

Made up as per instructions with brewing sugar, only difference was I made it up to around the 20L mark to fit in a cornie. I seem to remember using bottled mineral water on this one (Ashbeck), used the supplied yeast.

Eggy smell as usual while fermenting, temps were fine, I believe it took roughly 2- 3 weeks, I then transferred it to a cornie. I am unsure on what the OG and FG were but I think it ended up around the 5.5% mark.

It was fairly clear, had next to no taste at all, I may as well have put food colouring in some water and drank that...but I thought maybe it will improve with age.

Over the course of a couple of months I would draw the occasional sample to see if there was any progress...none, it was about to go down the sink, but then I went out and bought a litre of apple juice concentrate (the usual type you would mix with water to make a squash) , doing this actually gave it an apple taste, although it was an artificaial one at that. I didnt enjoy this at all, a couple of people liked it, but it became cloudy, and too artificial.

I would not suggest making this kit, its by far the wrost I have done to date 🤢 . I would rather make a TC
After fermentation add 1 tablespoon of honey per 750cl.

Latest posts

Back