John Bull Best Bitter Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Cerberus and her big sister the Golden Imperial are both very nice brews, but like you say loopy juice so need to be treated with care.

I have not made any big beers for a while as everything is going into cornies now, am wanting to make the step to all grain but Tesco keep putting offers on.

I am sure once I have made the change to all grain I might make a few big ABV brews for bottling, I have a yearning to make a double figure ABV not sure exactly what though maybe a Barley Wine or DIPA.

I would definitely recommend a partial mash, which requires only a 15L pot and a straining bag. That will tell you whether the extra effort is worthwhile.

Just tried my first one, it's the Best Bitter. It's only two weeks in the bottle, it's had ten days in the warm and two days in the fridge. It's still a bit cloudy but it's a fantastic tasting beer, I can't wait until it hits the 2 month mark. This is my second John Bull kit and I have to say that I am very impressed with their kits, when I consider that I am picking these up for £9 odd in the Tesco Sale it's a real result. I added 40g of Perle hops on a 20 min boil and bag and tea added to the FV for the duration and 165g of honey and this recipe is a keeper. I've got two John Bull IPA's in the wings (I'll be trying different hops with each of them)and on the next Tesco Sale I will definitely be stocking up on the Best Bitter as well. Tweaking them with hops and bumping up the ABV a little gives a stunning kit beer for under a tenner.

Just bunged one of these in the FV with 500G of BH ,400G of brewing sugar,454G of black treacle and 250G of demerera sugar,brewed short to 4.5gallon and OG came out to a very respectable 1064,as to its quaffability watch this space

Kegged this with a few bottles as well today after a 10 day ferment,started off as 1064 OG and got it down to 1008(surprised it got down that far),so according to the brewers friend alcohol by volume its 7.35% and 87% attenuation, not a session beer by any means,tasted OK on kegging so looking forward to Xmas now

Kegged this with a few bottles as well today after a 10 day ferment,started off as 1064 OG and got it down to 1008(surprised it got down that far),so according to the brewers friend alcohol by volume its 7.35% and 87% attenuation, not a session beer by any means,tasted OK on kegging so looking forward to Xmas now
Nice, it will definitely be a merry Christmas ;)

4 days in the keg and my curiosity got the better of me so pulled a drop off around 50 ml into a glass and I gotta say I'm well pleased with it.a super long lasting head a lovely mouth feel and a taste that is very similar to a stout.another 3 weeks when it will be Xmas and it will be Bostin as they say around these parts

4 days in the keg and my curiosity got the better of me so pulled a drop off around 50 ml into a glass and I gotta say I'm well pleased with it.a super long lasting head a lovely mouth feel and a taste that is very similar to a stout.another 3 weeks when it will be Xmas and it will be Bostin as they say around these parts
Since its got a good head I think you should call it King Astle Special Christmas Ale ;)

Latest posts

Back