John Bull IPA Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks
About six weeks ago I put about half of my JB IPA into a barrel, and the rest was bottled (2 litre PET bottles - that's what I do). The initial brew was made up with 1 kg Youngs BE and dry hopped for 4 days with 25g Goldings.
After an initial problem with a leaking barrel tap at two weeks in, which involved replacing the tap and repriming, I have been drawing off the odd half glass from the barrel to see how things were going and have noticed a steady improvement, but nothing remarkable.
Tonight I opened the first bottle and am 'well impressed'. It's much much better than the barrel version. I also think it's better than the Coopers IPA and Brewmaker IPA kits I have done, and will definitely be doing it again.
So here's to the next Tesco sale! :cheers:

.amazing pint with added brew sugar and light malt extract I'm starting another and using medium malt

I made this as my very first homebrew beer and loved it.
im tempted to try the traditional english ale, but this was so nice i dont want to risk it not being as nice, anyone have any preference?

im tempted to try the traditional english ale, but this was so nice i dont want to risk it not being as nice
I think you should go for it. Until you try it you will never know.
I was impressed by the IPA but will still have a go at the English Ale to see what it's like and which, in fact, is next in line. In the end they all get drunk :drink:!!

I'm seriously considering making a toucan with the kits I got in the tesco closing sale.I know it'll be bitter but with conditioning may well be a winner :-)

I'm seriously considering making a toucan with the kits I got in the tesco closing sale.I know it'll be bitter but with conditioning may well be a winner :-)

Interesting experiment. I never read about anyone doing a toucan with anything other than stout/dark ale. Might come out like some sort of imperial IPA/Double IPA? I agree, will need a hell of a lot of conditioning

I've put two youngs Scottish heavy kits together before and that turned out a great beer. I understand that there low hopped kits because of the style and this would be alot different but, I've got the idea now and as stocks are high I can afford to do a long conditioning plus it'l be fun finding out.

Picked up one of these kits in the Tesco sale and was going to make it today but not sure if I'm on the right track. I have 1kg of Youngs beer enhancer and 700g of brewing sugar, should I just throw the lot in? Instructions say 1kg of sugar, so do I need more or will the beer enhancer make up the shortfall? Will it just end up a very weak brew?
Cheers

Picked up one of these kits in the Tesco sale and was going to make it today but not sure if I'm on the right track. I have 1kg of Youngs beer enhancer and 700g of brewing sugar, should I just throw the lot in? Instructions say 1kg of sugar, so do I need more or will the beer enhancer make up the shortfall? Will it just end up a very weak brew?
Cheers
I did this one recently with 1 kg Youngs BE only and brewed slightly short to 22litres. It started at 1045, ended at 1012 and dry hopped with 25g Goldings pellets, turned out to be a good pint.

Cheers

Beer ENhancer is 50% Dextrose and 50% Spraymalt.. if you have that AND 700 grams of sugar you will have a very strong brew you will esswentially be adding 1.2kg of sugar PLUS another 500 granms of malt extract.. I would just stick the Enhancer in but if you want to bump it up a bit just chuck in 200 sugar.. I would put as little sugar in as possible personally.

Great stuff,thanks for the swift replies - I'll crack on with it now just wanted to check first. I have some hops I can throw in so with the sale price it's going to work out a cheap brew :thumb:

Brewed it this morning and ended up with an OG of 1045 so fingers crossed should turn out + 5%. Thanks again.much appreciated
Also it looks very dark, a lot darker than I was expecting

Morning All, I'll be bottling a John Bull IPA today:
23L - 11/10/15 - 31/10/15
Re-pitched Gervin Yeast (Wilko) + 1tsp YN
1kg Youngs BE + 120g honey
25g Perle Hops + 5g Aurora - 20m boil, tea and bag added to FV
OG:1061 - FG:1009 - 7%

Very nice tasting in the trial jar, I've really enjoyed everything I've done with the Perle Hops.

My dad made this kit and I had a bottle of it tonight... tbf he used a kit and kilo of sugar not far from the best method , his other home brews are okay (drinkable at least) but this I thought wasn't that good, I nearly tipped it away.

I have tried a few different peoples John Bull kits (never made one myself) and to me they seem either flavourless or twangy and very thin. I think they def need a bit of love in the additions.

My dad made this kit and I had a bottle of it tonight... tbf he used a kit and kilo of sugar not far from the best method , his other home brews are okay (drinkable at least) but this I thought wasn't that good, I nearly tipped it away.

I have tried a few different peoples John Bull kits (never made one myself) and to me they seem either flavourless or twangy and very thin. I think they def need a bit of love in the additions.

I add just 1kg BKE to my JB IPA and it comes out superb IMO. My favourite 1 can kit..

I've done the JB IPA and the JB Best Bitter and liked them both but I did significantly tweak them. I take it for granted that any kit is a starting point and will need tweaking with both added hops and extra fermentables.

POssibly just his kit, kit quality can vary from storage and such.. it didn't seem like off flavours just not very good, and I have to say every other John Bull Kit I have tried I thought the same.. (never made one myself).. That said it was made with sugar and I think we can all agree that's never going to give you the best results..

Thats not to say you coulnd't make a good drink out of it, if it was me I would partial mash the fermentables it instead of sugar and use some fresh hops and probably swap the yeast

POssibly just his kit, kit quality can vary from storage and such.. it didn't seem like off flavours just not very good, and I have to say every other John Bull Kit I have tried I thought the same.. (never made one myself).. That said it was made with sugar and I think we can all agree that's never going to give you the best results..

Thats not to say you coulnd't make a good drink out of it, if it was me I would partial mash the fermentables it instead of sugar and use some fresh hops and probably swap the yeast

What covrich said! Something a bit like this maybe:
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=56028
It's still needing a bit of conditioning but it's definitely a good result from a 1 can kit

Latest posts

Back