Juicy Session IPA - Mangrove Jack's review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just adding to the praise for this kit.
Bottled mine 2 weeks ago and has been conditioning in the warm. Popped the first couple of bottles in the fridge this weekend and they are absolutely superb. One of the best fruity Ipas I have drunk.
Only one question - does it improve with age or should it be gone by Christmas?

Alot of the vibrant flavour disappeared for me but it still tasted very good 4 weeks later - just slightly subdued. The beer probably tasted better overall though. you probably won’t have to worry as I had very few left at the 4 week point Lol

agree with what the others have said, I reckon my keg lasted 4/5 weeks of drinking and was excellent throughout, though I'd say crack on and drink it as i wouldn't say it got any better. the few bottles I had which were consumed up to 2 months after bottling weren't as good as the keg. Great drink though and the best kit I've done so far

I've really enjoyed all the Mangrove Jack Kits I've done but this was my favourite by far. I wouldn't give it too much time to condition though as the fruitiness does diminish over time.

I’ve yet to hear anyone say a bad word about it and certainly for me it has been my favourite kit.

do we think this is due to the mango extract/flavouring masking any off flavours us home brewers can sometimes create.

Is it a very forgiving kit or am I underplaying the fact it is just a great kit?

I’ve yet to hear anyone say a bad word about it and certainly for me it has been my favourite kit.

do we think this is due to the mango extract/flavouring masking any off flavours us home brewers can sometimes create.

Is it a very forgiving kit or am I underplaying the fact it is just a great kit?

I think it’s genuinely a good kit... the overall taste is just delicious. the masking Could be said of any strongly flavoured kits

I have this set on fermentation now, day 12. Increased temp yesterday to 22c to hurry the fermentation a bit.
Dry hopped and added 1kg mangopure after flameout and had 600g lactose in at start of fermentation. Tasted the wort yesterday and it has potential.

How long should I condition? some say 10 days, some say max 1 week.

I started this Kit on the 5th of April. I added 1.5kg of Light LME from Get Er Brewed. Kit yeast was Mangrove Jacks US West Coast M44.
OG = 1.046 @ 24 degrees C.
Yesterday evening I added the hops, 50g of Citra dry Hop pellets using a muslin hop sock and some marbles.
I took a reading and it was at 1.006, I’ll be bottling on Monday evening. Should be around 5.25%. Looking forward to this. I tried 2 bottles of the Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA two weeks ago and it was amazing. Saving the rest for my week off in the middle of May. The Juicy Session IPA will be ready then too.

I have this set on fermentation now, day 12. Increased temp yesterday to 22c to hurry the fermentation a bit.
Dry hopped and added 1kg mangopure after flameout and had 600g lactose in at start of fermentation. Tasted the wort yesterday and it has potential.

How long should I condition? some say 10 days, some say max 1 week.

I would aim for at least 10 days.

I'm just enjoying my first bottle of this tonight, it's been in the garage for 5 weeks and it is beautiful. Mine finished at the advertised 4.8%, it's refreshing, fruity and very drinkable. I'm very happy and I'll definitely be doing it again. Cheers 🍻

Did MJ Juicy Session IPA also a few months ago. Beer didn't last very long! Excellent brew! My notes below...

Brewed with 1.2kg pouch MJ Pure LME 'Light'. OG 1.045, FG 1.010 (ABV 4.8% as advertised). Pitched at 23oC and kept at pretty constant 20oC thereafter.

NB warning to others: Initial lag phase of 3 days inactivity was a worry, but once going, yeast was aggressively vigorous, requiring a few days upgrade from bubbler airlock to blow-off tube.

Dry-hopped Day 18. Bottled Day 26. Carbed to 1.8volCO2 with 90g dextrose (which for me was plenty).

Started drinking within week (research purposes!). Came really good after about 2-3 weeks in bottle. Really excellent after further month.

Will definitely repeat!

Last edited:
I never got to have my week off in the middle of May, I'm meant to be on leave now. Work emergency got in the way and I had a week of stress instead. However I did get to sample the Juicy Session IPA last weekend and it is amazing. Definitely the best kit I have done so far and I will be doing it again. The Pink Grapefruit IPA is beautiful, but this pips it to the post. Absolutely gorgeous and I am looking forward to having a few more next weekend. I have an Irish Red Ale on at the moment and I'll be putting the Pink Grapefruit IPA on again after that. Next will be another Juicy Session IPA. This will be a constant addition to the stash. Absolutely fantastic.

Attachments

• F57E4C7A-6308-444C-B19A-771B56CB8E3E.jpeg
    F57E4C7A-6308-444C-B19A-771B56CB8E3E.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 10BF7CC9-BDDF-465D-8187-2AEF8DE63E15.jpeg
    10BF7CC9-BDDF-465D-8187-2AEF8DE63E15.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 7AE01CC8-63A3-457C-9D30-3432D6981F23.jpeg
    7AE01CC8-63A3-457C-9D30-3432D6981F23.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 70
I never got to have my week off in the middle of May, I'm meant to be on leave now. Work emergency got in the way and I had a week of stress instead. However I did get to sample the Juicy Session IPA last weekend and it is amazing. Definitely the best kit I have done so far and I will be doing it again. The Pink Grapefruit IPA is beautiful, but this pips it to the post. Absolutely gorgeous and I am looking forward to having a few more next weekend. I have an Irish Red Ale on at the moment and I'll be putting the Pink Grapefruit IPA on again after that. Next will be another Juicy Session IPA. This will be a constant addition to the stash. Absolutely fantastic.
I'm with you on this, it was the 1st brew I did last summer in my keg/keezer set up and was just amazing. I've done 5 or so of the MJ kits and this is #1 by far. I'm doing AG now but this is defo one I want to go back to at some point. on the pink grapefruit, I think I ruined mine as it was in the garage in the heatwave last year and I reckon most of the fermentation was at 25/26deg C. It didn't really have any grapefruit flavour and I just wasn't really bothered about drinking it. I must give it another go at some point given how positive the reviews have been, in the fermentation fridge at a nice 19/20C next time!

I have an Irish Red Ale on at the moment
Just started drinking this and I love it, looks like a lighter Guinness. The taste reminded me of an AG brew I have done in the past and put that down to the EKG (Goldings) dry hop. The AG beer in question was the ESB Fullers clone I have done a couple of times in the past.

I'm with you on this, it was the 1st brew I did last summer in my keg/keezer set up and was just amazing. I've done 5 or so of the MJ kits and this is #1 by far. I'm doing AG now but this is defo one I want to go back to at some point. on the pink grapefruit, I think I ruined mine as it was in the garage in the heatwave last year and I reckon most of the fermentation was at 25/26deg C. It didn't really have any grapefruit flavour and I just wasn't really bothered about drinking it. I must give it another go at some point given how positive the reviews have been, in the fermentation fridge at a nice 19/20C next time!
Yes you should try the Pink Grapefruit IPA again. It is very good. Last weekend I did a side by side taste test of the Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA and Brewdog Elvis Juice. The Brewdog Elvis Juice is lovely and there is a stronger grapefruit aroma from it, however I preferred the taste of the MJ Pink Grapefruit IPA. @GhostShip I believe recently made a batch again using 1 liter of Pink Grapefruit Juice and he was very impressed. I will be doing this kit again in a couple of weeks and will also try adding the Pink Grapefruit Juice at time of brewing. I still think that the Juicy Session will be hard to beat.

This should be made illegal. Too nice. Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA and Juicy Session IPA are amazing. I’ve also a great fondness for The James Blonde Ale by the Homebrew Company. It is very close at the finish line. But Juicy Session IPA is still great, especially whilst listening to Rock Lobster 🦞 by the B52’s.

Attachments

• B22F3E38-AA5F-43D1-8FE8-1102FA81CB36.jpeg
    B22F3E38-AA5F-43D1-8FE8-1102FA81CB36.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back