July comp and it's freestyle!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I’m really pleased and incredibly surprised! Thanks @stigman for a Herculean judging effort and to everyone for entering. It sounded like there were some really interesting and quality beers. Pink beer for the win!

Wow, I’m really pleased and incredibly surprised! Thanks @stigman for a Herculean judging effort and to everyone for entering. It sounded like there were some really interesting and quality beers. Pink beer for the win!
Don't thank me thank my liver 😂 as promised I'll sort you a prize a soon as I can, send me a pm with your address

Brett Hibiscus Ale. Brewed in May 2019.

Recipe for 15 litres:

2 kg Pilsner malt
1.5kg torrified wheat

Mashed at 64C for 90 mins

15 IBU of Magnum at 60 mins
200g of maltodextrin at 5 mins
20g of Bramling Cross at flameout

OG 1.042

Fermented with WLP648 Brett Trois Vrai.

Primary in a bucket for one month. At that stage it was around 1.010 and really fruity, lots of pear which I think are esters from this Brett and gooseberry which i think is Bramling Cross.

Some of the batch went onto lychee purée for a month, which was a lovely beer I drank young last summer.

For 4.5L of this one it had 50g of dried hibiscus flowers in a DJ for 4 months. That extended contact time would probably extract tannin which would be unfavourable in a normal sacc beer but that’s good food for Brett. Then into another DJ off the flowers to clear. Bottled at 11 months old with 2.5-3 vols. Bottled conditioned.

At six weeks after bottling it was quite fruity and a little tart, the Brett is still changing and asserting itself and funk is developing in the bottle, it’s currently 3 months since bottling and 14 months since brewday. I like this beer, the fruitiness from the hibiscus and the funk from the Brett balance each other nicely. I’ll probably do a bigger batch sometime.

Recipe for 15 litres:

2 kg Pilsner malt
1.5kg torrified wheat

OG 1.042

Primary in a bucket for one month. At that stage it was around 1.010 and really fruity, lots of pear which I think are esters from this Brett and gooseberry which i think is Bramling Cross.

Some of the batch went onto lychee purée for a month, which was a lovely beer I drank young last summer.

For 4.5L of this one it had 50g of dried hibiscus flowers in a DJ for 4 months. That extended contact time would probably extract tannin which would be unfavourable in a normal sacc beer but that’s good food for Brett. Then into another DJ off the flowers to clear. Bottled at 11 months old with 2.5-3 vols. Bottled conditioned.

At six weeks after bottling it was quite fruity and a little tart, the Brett is still changing and asserting itself and funk is developing in the bottle, it’s currently 3 months since bottling and 14 months since brewday. I like this beer, the fruitiness from the hibiscus and the funk from the Brett balance each other nicely. I’ll probably do a bigger batch sometime.
I find that sour brewers display such an amazing amount of restraint, a trait I do not seem to have as that thing would be long gone in my house a month or two at the most after bottling. maybe faster if it's a good one too.

thanks for posting. looking forward to reading about that yeast.

I find that sour brewers display such an amazing amount of restraint, a trait I do not seem to have as that thing would be long gone in my house a month or two at the most after bottling. maybe faster if it's a good one too.

thanks for posting. looking forward to reading about that yeast.
For “restraint” read “laziness”! Sour beers are great for people who hate bottling and will find any excuse to put it off! Holding off once bottled is harder I’ll grant you.

I can’t say enough good things about the yeast. You could brew an ipa with it and bottle it young, with some fruity characteristics, or you can age it and get the funk. I’m sure it would also be great in a blend.

Recipe for 15 litres:

2 kg Pilsner malt
1.5kg torrified wheat

OG 1.042

Very interesting..good work 👍

Here's a list of all the beers I had the pleasure of sampling
Raspberry berliner weisse
Bretted Golden ale/hibiscus
Hoppy saison
Vienna lager
Trappist single
Neipa
Kolsch
G Hugh's Belgian pale
Saison
Belgian ipa (orval)