June Forum Comp - Dark Beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really was. There's some seriously good brewers on this forum.

Well done to you too @Oneflewover - tasting and marking 20 beers over three nights is pretty insane, especially knowing the strength of some of the beers sent in. Respect!

Don’t expect to hear much from you for a few days now 😂

clapaclapaclapaclapa

Oh WOW! Thanks guys. Didn't expect anything. Just wanted unbiassed feedback really.
Recipe:
4.4kg Maris otter
250gm Munich
100gm Pale chocolate
40gm roasted barley
30g Fuggles 75min.
12g Fuggles 30min.
yeast:1x M36 + 1x M42
OG 1.062 (20L)
FG 1.012
50g bourbon oak chips (soaked in 150ml of Maker's Mark) for 10 days

Thank you @Oneflewover for judging the comp

congrats to @dalecek and thanks for posting your recipe, nice to see that a relatively simple recipe can make such an impression. now i need do some research on the yeasts you used and the combo. stupid question but 50g of chips before or after soaking?

@strange-steve i gotta figure out how to get a bottle of your belgian dubbel, fancy a swap for a westy 8?

thanks @Oneflewover for organizing and donating a few years from your livers life. i was very happy with my stout easily one of my top 3 beers i have ever made so glad it was enjoyed. i meant to tell you if you opened and poured half for the comp you could save the other half for another time. the drop in carbonation actually makes it even better.

i gotta figure out how to get a bottle of your belgian dubbel, fancy a swap for a westy 8?
Absolutely! I would have sent you one in our last swap, but I personally thought the bock was better. It seems @Oneflewover didn't agree :laugh8:
I'll get it in the post in the next couple of days, I need to get a couple of other bottles posted anyway thumb.

congrats to @dalecek and thanks for posting your recipe, nice to see that a relatively simple recipe can make such an impression. now i need do some research on the yeasts you used and the combo. stupid question but 50g of chips before or after soaking?

@strange-steve i gotta figure out how to get a bottle of your belgian dubbel, fancy a swap for a westy 8?

thanks @Oneflewover for organizing and donating a few years from your livers life. i was very happy with my stout easily one of my top 3 beers i have ever made so glad it was enjoyed. i meant to tell you if you opened and poured half for the comp you could save the other half for another time. the drop in carbonation actually makes it even better.
Have you a recipe for your spring stout

I'd echo what the others have said - thanks @Oneflewover for all your hard work. I know you'd have enjoyed tasting the beers, but then most of us just enjoy sitting back and drinking them - all of the tasting notes, ensuring you send feedback to the correct person etc. (do this when sober lol!) will take some time, so THANK YOU! :) Looking forward to comments on my beer, and defo going to try that recipe from @dalecek out - sounds awesome, well done!!

This was my first time entering a comp, but definitely won't be the last!

Thank-you @Oneflewover and congrats to the top three.
First competition for me also, the feedback was very positive and incredibly useful. I'll have to check the schedule properly, it was only by chance that I had a dark beer I was particularly pleased with ready to go.

Have you a recipe for your spring stout
Yeah here it is, this is for a 15l batch I brewed in my robobrew.
OG 1.100 FG was 1.030
9.5% abv

@samale I have a few more bottles, want to swap with your imperial stout?

5.00 kg​
Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC)​
72.5 %​
0.56 kg​
Caramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC)​
8.1 %​
0.50 kg​
Carafa I (Weyermann) (630.4 EBC)​
7.2 %​
0.50 kg​
Oats, Malted (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC)​
7.2 %​
0.20 kg​
Chocolate Rye Malt (492.5 EBC)​
2.9 %​
0.14 kg​
CHÂTEAU CAFÉ LIGHT® (250.2 EBC)​
2.0 %​
50.00 g​
Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min​
31.6 IBUs​
30.00 g​
Chinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min, 100.0 C​
16.3 IBUs​
30.00 g​
Chinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 2.0 min, 95.0 C​
2.7 IBUs​
1.0 pkg​
SafBrew Specialty Ale (DCL/Fermentis #T-58) [23.66 ml]​
-​
30.00 ml​
Vanilla Extract (Bottling)​
-​

Yeah here it is, this is for a 15l batch I brewed in my robobrew.
OG 1.100 FG was 1.030
9.5% abv

5.00 kg​
Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC)​
72.5 %​
0.56 kg​
Caramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC)​
8.1 %​
0.50 kg​
Carafa I (Weyermann) (630.4 EBC)​
7.2 %​
0.50 kg​
Oats, Malted (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC)​
7.2 %​
0.20 kg​
Chocolate Rye Malt (492.5 EBC)​
2.9 %​
0.14 kg​
CHÂTEAU CAFÉ LIGHT® (250.2 EBC)​
2.0 %​
50.00 g​
Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min​
31.6 IBUs​
30.00 g​
Chinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min, 100.0 C​
16.3 IBUs​
30.00 g​
Chinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 2.0 min, 95.0 C​
2.7 IBUs​
1.0 pkg​
SafBrew Specialty Ale (DCL/Fermentis #T-58) [23.66 ml]​
-​
30.00 ml​
Vanilla Extract (Bottling)​
-​
Great beer, thanks for sharing the recipe 👍

Oh WOW! Thanks guys. Didn't expect anything. Just wanted unbiassed feedback really.
Recipe:
4.4kg Maris otter
250gm Munich
100gm Pale chocolate
40gm roasted barley
30g Fuggles 75min.
12g Fuggles 30min.
yeast:1x M36 + 1x M42
OG 1.062 (20L)
FG 1.012
50g bourbon oak chips (soaked in 150ml of Maker's Mark) for 10 days

Thank you @Oneflewover for judging the comp
What was your water profile please, and why did you use 2 yeast strains? Thanks for sharing the recipe

Absolutely! I would have sent you one in our last swap, but I personally thought the bock was better. It seems @Oneflewover didn't agree :laugh8:
I'll get it in the post in the next couple of days, I need to get a couple of other bottles posted anyway thumb.
Both great beers @strange-steve, the dubbel just pipped the bock. Can we see the recipe? :hat:

Great beer, thanks for sharing the recipe 👍
You are very welcome.

By the way to give this one appropriate credit. This one was born out of reading a post from @Northern_Brewer he was mentioning how de struise uses t-58 and how it works uniquely with Chinook. So I basically stole the concept from that little rabbit's hole. Definitely will be working again with this combo, but am thinking of doing a belgian strong ale next time.

Back