Just a quick question guy's

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveE82

Reaction score
Hi just a question for you awesome brewers out there

So I have currently brewing an Youngs American IPA, when I first made it up I used the standard 40 pint 23 ltr fermenting bucket which is recommended unfortunately the batch in the first two days foamed up rapidly.

This has since subsided but has left a lot of yeast behind on the lid and sides, I haven't opened the bucket but I can see it.

The fermenting has been fine for 4 days its been bubbling through the air lock about twice every minute now thats slowed to once every minute to a minute and a half and seems to be showing further.

Do you think it will be ok or would adding some extra yeast help?

If I were to add yeast what would work best with youngs American IPA ?

Thanks Dave

Just leave it be, you've passed high krasusen now (the super bubbly phase) and the yeast is slowing down, that's perfectly normal. Most of my beers will slow down around day 4 and often go quiet by day 6 or 7.

I helped a friend make that beer a couple of years ago, when does it say to add the dry hops?

Hi Dave i think one of my American ipa was a bit lively foaming out of the airlock. No worries just leave it it's fine. Great brew good luck with it. I did refresh the airlock when it settled down by the way.

as @Zephyr259 says. no more yeast required. it's just slowing down.
i'd leave it until day ten then add the hops and bottle/keg on day 14 (assuming fermentation has stopped completely).

Just leave it be, you've passed high krasusen now (the super bubbly phase) and the yeast is slowing down, that's perfectly normal. Most of my beers will slow down around day 4 and often go quiet by day 6 or 7.

I helped a friend make that beer a couple of years ago, when does it say to add the dry hops?
Thanks for the advice it says to add the dry hops where you want but says it's better towards the end 2 to 3 days before bottling to preserve the flavour of the hops

as @Zephyr259 says. no more yeast required. it's just slowing down.
i'd leave it until day ten then add the hops and bottle/keg on day 14 (assuming fermentation has stopped completely).
Thank you for that I was a little worried with it leaving so much yeast behind, will add the hops towards the end the kit does say 7 to 10 days but I know the kits sometimes cut it short to sell the kits better saying its ready to dink in x amount of days

Thanks for the advice it says to add the dry hops where you want but says it's better towards the end 2 to 3 days before bottling to preserve the flavour of the hops
Cool, I'd go with @lupinehorror's advice then. Once the beer's gone quiet check the gravity, then again 2 -3 days later and if they're the same add hops and bottle a couple of days later. Should land about days 10 and 14.

The yeast it left on the lid and sides wasn't in suspension anyway and would have just sank to the bottom if it wasn't stuck to the top. There's a huge amount of yeast in suspension while fermenting so all is good.

Good luck, that kit makes a pretty good beer.

Latest posts

Back