Just another Corny beginner thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Following my ‘Vevor Growler’ thread I’m looking at getting my first Corny keg.
The only problem is due to space I’m going to have to share my fermentation fridge with the Corny.
Has easy would this be IRL? And will the temp changes spoil the beer inside the keg?
I haven’t found a ‘guide’ similar to @Hazelwood Brewery King Keg for beginners guide, is there one?
Huge thanks in advance.

I wouldn't want my beer changing temp all the time. I take it you will be fermenting around 18-20c. Would you drink beer at that temp?

My idea was to take the corny out of the fridge while I have another vessel fermenting. I tend to ferment at 18c, ambient garage temp ranges from 16-20c, too much variation for fermenting and would be looking to chill kegged beer at 12-14c. Luckily the garage is east facing and doesn’t get too much sun during the summer. My biggest worry is it would ruin ‘finished’ beer due to fluctuating temps.
I can’t be the first person to consider doing this.

My idea was to take the corny out of the fridge while I have another vessel fermenting. I tend to ferment at 18c, ambient garage temp ranges from 16-20c, too much variation for fermenting and would be looking to chill kegged beer at 12-14c. Luckily the garage is east facing and doesn’t get too much sun during the summer. My biggest worry is it would ruin ‘finished’ beer due to fluctuating temps.
I can’t be the first person to consider doing this.
Most likely not. Personally I couldn't drink beer that warm.

I did it at first, but it basically means you’re either serving your keg, or you’re fermenting - you won’t have a keg in the fridge at the same as fermenting something. So it really depends on how happy you are having a one beer ‘production line’.

On a slightly different note… Corny kegs are happier in groups - the more the better. So get a second fridge or freezer you can fit a few in!

Exactly what I would be doing @JockyBrewer did your beer change after rechilling it? I wouldn’t be drinking warm beer but don’t have space for a separate fridge. As long as the beer stays fresh after moving from a cold to warmer environment for a short until I can get it cold enough to drink when the fridge is clear again.
I think after a few cycles of this one would become two and so on…..

I would drink the beer in the corny and then bottle the remainder when I was ready to brew again, so I didn’t let my corny warm up.

Having said that, warmth just causes the acceleration of beer ageing, so I doubt that letting your corny warm up will cause any more problems than keeping bottles warm.

In some ways it’ll be a big step up from bottles as it’s easier to minimise the level of remaining oxygen in the kegs after filling, either by filling nearly full and then purging the headspace, or (even better) pre purging the keg by filling with starsan and then pushing it out with CO2.

Once everything is definitely done fermenting and conditioning etc. I don’t think fluctuating temperatures will affect things with finished beer too much, as long as extremes are avoided. I’ve left kegs in the garage after cold crashing and carbing at low temperatures whilst waiting for a free tap in my keezer so the temp will have risen and varied on that time, no noticeable issues. I suppose commercial beers are often chilled as part of the various processes but are not transported refrigerated and spend time during the supply chain in varying conditions.

I am not sure whether some other processes are accelerated with raised temperatures such as diminishing hop characteristics which happen over time.

Only thing I would make sure of is when you’re wanting to serve, you’ve got a constant serving temperature and you allow the keg to achieve that as if anything it helps keep the lines balanced.

Very similar predicament to myself, I simply don't have room for 2 fridges

I opted for colder beer, unless you have a major need for cold crash (you have issues clearing your beer), I would ferment in an area with constant temp and use the fridge for chilling the final beer.

If you need a warner fermentation get a FV heater, belt, mat or the direct lid heaters.

I’ve got a mat that’s pretty much redundant at the moment and am reluctant to go back using it as my brews are much better after getting the fermentation fridge.
The more I think about it the more I think I have to rearrange the garage to accommodate another fridge, that’s not the problem though….it’s her indoors.

Back