Just Another Mosaic Pale Ale Recipe - Calc help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AstroBrew

Reaction score
Hi

After a few years of extract brewing with good results I decided to make the normal transition to all grain. At the same time I thought I would build an electric system as my burner was knackered and had always had trouble keeping a good rolling boil for a 5gallon batch... this was also a few years ago.

But Im finally ready for the first batch on the new system AND my first all grain batch.

The attached recipe gives
1.047 OG
1.007 FG
5.1%
70% BH Efficiency
22L batch (19L Kegging)

I had some problems with the maths and the numbers beersmith gave out and wondered if anyone new the equation that BS uses?

I was shooting for 85% Pale malt, 5% Crystal, 10% Vienna and 1.050 OG for the 22L batch size. I think the original maths I did on paper gave me something closer to 3.7kg of Pale malt for example but this gave me closer to 1.042 OG in BS

I checked the efficiency was correct and the potential from the grains? but the numbers still didnt add up. So I must be missing something?

Also it will be my first time whirlpool hopping. How does the schedule look?

Looking forward to having a larger input in the forum

Thanks!

James

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-03-06 at 13.10.50.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-06 at 13.10.50.png
    78.2 KB · Views: 130
No idea and no expert but looking at the factor you are out by, is it possible you have mixed up imperial and US measurements at some point maybe in the PPG numbers?

No idea and no expert but looking at the factor you are out by, is it possible you have mixed up imperial and US measurements at some point maybe in the PPG numbers?

It's entirely possible but I use litres on brewsmith and in the equations. I think the maths was also correct but it an some part of the potential sugar extraction that ive missed.

I would suggest that for a first AG brew(s), you concentrate on getting to grips with the process and understanding each step in the brewing cycle. It is going to make beer and it will be good.
Worry about details a lot further down the line. Your basic recipe for a Mosaic (or any other single hop) Pale looks fine and once you get a feel for what you are doing, through familiarity, you can consider the feedback you are getting from the numbers.

I would suggest that for a first AG brew(s), you concentrate on getting to grips with the process and understanding each step in the brewing cycle. It is going to make beer and it will be good.
Worry about details a lot further down the line. Your basic recipe for a Mosaic (or any other single hop) Pale looks fine and once you get a feel for what you are doing, through familiarity, you can consider the feedback you are getting from the numbers.

Thanks

Hi

After a few years of extract brewing with good results I decided to make the normal transition to all grain. At the same time I thought I would build an electric system as my burner was knackered and had always had trouble keeping a good rolling boil for a 5gallon batch... this was also a few years ago.

But Im finally ready for the first batch on the new system AND my first all grain batch.

The attached recipe gives
1.047 OG
1.007 FG
5.1%
70% BH Efficiency
22L batch (19L Kegging)

I had some problems with the maths and the numbers beersmith gave out and wondered if anyone new the equation that BS uses?

I was shooting for 85% Pale malt, 5% Crystal, 10% Vienna and 1.050 OG for the 22L batch size. I think the original maths I did on paper gave me something closer to 3.7kg of Pale malt for example but this gave me closer to 1.042 OG in BS

I checked the efficiency was correct and the potential from the grains? but the numbers still didnt add up. So I must be missing something?

Also it will be my first time whirlpool hopping. How does the schedule look?

Looking forward to having a larger input in the forum

Thanks!

James
I think the issue maybe with the BH efficiency. Are you sure your calculation took into account brewhouse efficiency (as opposed to mash efficiency)? Beersmith calculates based on brewhouse efficiency (see here - http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/10/26/brewhouse-efficiency-for-all-grain-beer-brewing).

As Slid suggests, it's not that important on your first brew. The important thing is to take accurate measurements so that next time you can dial in your system. Ie pre and post boil volume, pre and post boil SG, boil off rate, OG etc. Then you can adjust on beersmith to be able to hit your numbers next time.

I think the issue maybe with the BH efficiency. Are you sure your calculation took into account brewhouse efficiency (as opposed to mash efficiency)? Beersmith calculates based on brewhouse efficiency (see here - http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/10/26/brewhouse-efficiency-for-all-grain-beer-brewing).

As Slid suggests, it's not that important on your first brew. The important thing is to take accurate measurements so that next time you can dial in your system. Ie pre and post boil volume, pre and post boil SG, boil off rate, OG etc. Then you can adjust on beersmith to be able to hit your numbers next time.

I will take the advice and put focus on the brewday records.

From your information I may have worked out the problem? I used 22L final fermenter amount for my manual calcs but had set up the equipment in beersmith for mash tun dead space, hoses and coil loss etc.

Thanks for all your help

Latest posts

Back