Just bottled..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuart Wilson

Reaction score
Honey and apple cider. OG 1.07, FG 1.05 so 95% attenuation and 8.9% alcohol!
20201222_180439.jpg

It had sat for a couple of weeks with absolutely no activity. Was a bit surprised it hadnt come right down......maybe something to do with honey?? Pure apple cider is usually at just below 1 by this time.

Honey has some unfermentable sugars in it so will normally stop >1.000. The odd time I've had honey ferment dry it's been the cheaper supermarket home brands. I couldn't understand this till Tesco got in to trouble when it was found that their 100% honey contained sugar water, then the penny dropped (as did the final gravity).

Last edited:
Well.....just tried a bottle, and results were very surprising and very disappointing! Beautiful clarity, perfect carbonation...looked wonderful. However, a very strange after taste....almost bitter. Thinking about it....the taste is there in at least some batches of honey, but its masked by the sweetness. Hard to describe the taste....but the overall effect makes it pretty undrinkable!!!

Save it for summer, it may improve by then or try adding a little lemonade.

Not sure how to describe taste.....but I dontike it!! My plan was to put it in garage and forget about it for a few months. May improve with time. I think most people have a couple of crates of homebrew projects that went wrong!!

Anything with honey needs six months to clean up.

Be patient. Give it a try in June and you'll be surprised.

Honey and apple juice is known in the mead world as cyser. Congratulations.

Back