Quantcast

Just bought a Raspberry pi

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Robbo100

Regular.
Reaction score
I have had a little play with the RaspBMC (and my 6 year old has been doing some programming with Scratch on their Debian Squeeze load). But I haven't really done much, since it is never going to replace my MediaPortal setup.

There is a thread here that might be useful if you want to use it for media: http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-ent ... ughts.html

BrotherMalice

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheers guys, will have a look :)

@ alawlor66430 its a £35 linux based computer thats about the same size as a packet of fags, have a look here for more information

falafael

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got mine running Xbmc, streaming movies, Tv and sports on it!!
Winner!

oldbloke

Regular.
Reaction score
t'missus says we should get one for the lad to learn programming on
I fancy one to be the brains for a robotization of a radio controlled tank....

Robbo100

Regular.
Reaction score
Scratch is a good start for anyone learning to program, especially for young kids. You can get it for windows, Linux and OS-X too.

oldbloke

Regular.
Reaction score
yeh we have it on Windows, the boy's had a bit of a play with that and a couple of other things, including a Super Mario level editor.
Might have more luck teaching him Java so he can write Minecraft mods, it's almost all he thinks about lately.

winelight

Mild man
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting one to make an internet radio for the car. As well as doing the media player and wifi stuff it would have to communicate over the car's internal bus to change stations etc. I never got round to it in the end.

BrotherMalice

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I had a few issues with it last night, cant get wheezy to work but raspbmc works fine :(

Have posted on their forums and am awaiting advice, not really played with linux properly before so not really sure what i am doing yet (and I was drinking wine last night so may not have been thinking properly...)

calumscott

Regular.
Reaction score
Just heard that they are releasing a camera module soon, US$25...

Keep an eye on your fermenters in their cabinets without opening the door...?

Cheap CCTV type security for your brewshed?

EskiBrew

Regular.
Reaction score
Yep, got one here - have struggled to think of something to do with it that excited me enough to spend some time on it.

Have recently written a driver to control the GPIO and can now control those via web page - been writing up a how-to but now quite finished.

Also finished the design for an expansion board last week (waiting for the PCBs to be made now so I can put one together) - it will have 8 channels of PWM, 1 x quadrature encoder input, 3 x ADC input, 1 x LCD interface and 8 x GPIO as well as a temperature sensor - should give me enough to play with for now :thumb:

BrotherMalice

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know what most of that means yet but I am looking forward to learning about it :) - Will be good to read your how to as well!

EskiBrew

Regular.
Reaction score
BrotherMalice said:
I dont know what most of that means yet but I am looking forward to learning about it :) - Will be good to read your how to as well!
If you're new to electronics, microcontrollers and programming and want to flash LEDs and control motors etc, the Arduino Uno is a great starting place - no Linux OS involved so smaller learning curve in that respect.

The Pi though it a great way to experiment with Linux - I'm tempted to plug in a USB webcam and have a play with "Motion" program - add on a servo to enable moving the webcam and you could put together a face tracking webcam so as you move it would follow you...

The possibilities are endless :thumb:

Feel free to shout if you get stuck, there are a few here familiar with Linux and using the Pi so we may be able to help :cool:

BrotherMalice

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah there is software out there to do that, I quite like the idea of learning programming (eventually) and the electronics side of things - I have a strange obsession with tidy cables so I may well get on well with the electronics :D