Just bought a Raspberry pi

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
falafael said:
****, i formatted my 4gb sd card and now i only have 63mb according to the computer on the card!!! :eek:
Looks like my card reader could be faulty?
Got another in loft me thinks??

When you format the card for the Pi there is a small 64Mb fat32 boot partition and the rest is ext3/4 for the root file system which you can't see in windows.
There are SD formatting utilities that will revert it back to 'standard'. One from Panasonic works well.

ok, i downloaded the SD card formatter, and its all back to normal now.

My raspberry p is the 256 mb version, and truth be told, although its fine, and i ahve xbmc installed, i was using the beta version of it, and because of this, yes, the menu's were at time frustatingly slow, and at times, it would freeze, so, in the end i stuck it on the shelf for the past 3 months or so, and reverted to using a spare pc.

This morning, after a hiccup, i have downloaded and installed a stable version, its come with some addons installed already, namely, icefilm, 1channel and navi-x.

All i can say is wow, even with the pi i have, the menus are really fast, no noticeable slow downs, i just have to get the addons i use on via usb stick and keyboard, then once done, take those out and revert to my maplins remote control from then on.
Here's the link where i got the upto date version on, the instructions are included, the file to download is 1.3gb, bear in mind they have also put in metadata for the movie addons!!

Overall, i may just buy a more upto date pi now i know it's more stable!

http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/raspberry ... ddons.html

let me know how you get on brother!!
thanks

falafael said:
revert to my maplins remote control from then on.

Hmmm - what remote is that then and does it come with an IR receiver that plugs into the Raspi USB?

Good to know the latest version is faster - I notice it is openELEC rather than Raspbian :hmm:

falafael said:
let me know how you get on brother!!

Makes me want to say something like "yeah man" :lol:

I see RasBMC 1.0 has been released. This should be a much more stable build to try.

Yeah, I saw that yesterday, was playing with electronics last night though, was trying to get this going, think I got it all wired up correctly but couldnt work out how to get it working and showing any useful information, I dont think I know how to get the files it mentions :(

Will give the media player another go tonight :)

BM - On the tutorial page you linked to have you followed the steps to install the software e.g. sudo apt-get install python-dev
You'll need a working internet connection and be in a terminal session ;)
This can be directly connected or via SSH.

Streaming 720p of the net, no problem, and now watching tv show streaming of the local network, way better than my old computer!
Missus impressed too with it, as it's out of sight too!
The biz!

falafael said:
Streaming 720p of the net, no problem, and now watching tv show streaming of the local network, way better than my old computer!
The biz!

What version are you using now? - I have tried both the one you linked above and the latest raspbmc and cant get either of them to play anything over my network? or stream over the net, all I have managed is to stream a bit of music over my network and even then there were delays between tracks and the occasional pause in the middle of a track...

On the plus side I beat is several times at reversie last night :D

BrotherMalice said:
anthonyUK said:
BrotherMalice said:
I have followed the instructions upto the part where they tell you which files they will be using, cant get them?

This part?

apt-get install git
git clone git://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Rasp ... n-Code.git
cd Adafruit-Raspberry-Pi-Python-Code
cd Adafruit_CharLCD

Thats the bugger, couldnt work out how to do anything with that ?!?!

Entering it line by line in a terminal session e.g.

>apt-get install git [enter] - let that complete
>git clone git://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Rasp ... n-Code.git [enter]

BrotherMalice said:
falafael said:
The biz!

What version are you using now? - I have tried both the one you linked above and the latest raspbmc and cant get either of them to play anything over my network? or stream over the net, all I have managed is to stream a bit of music over my network and even then there were delays between tracks and the occasional pause in the middle of a track...

On the plus side I beat is several times at reversie last night :D

I'm using the one i put a link too, and i have done that link for three mates Pi's now, and every one of them works, i've even added addons to it, and everything works, not sure what your doing?, could be the SD card?

BrotherMalice said:
BrotherMalice said:
anthonyUK said:
Entering it line by line in a terminal session e.g.

>apt-get install git [enter] - let that complete
>git clone git://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Rasp ... n-Code.git [enter]

Cheers, will try & give that a go tonight

Ok, just tried this and got the following message:

Install: missing destination file operand after 'git'

Hmmm - did you type in the [Enter] bit? - You're not supposed to...

Just this:

Code:
sudo apt-get install git

Notice I have added sudo because you probably need it :thumb:

Latest posts

Back