Just discovered some old bottled beer in the garage...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain_dan

Reaction score
I was searching through my garage and came across 5x500ml bottles containing Wherry(?), which I think may have been brewed approx 5 years ago.

The bottles are those brown glass, swing-top type. There is a rubber seal of course, but I think the beer has been stored upright over the years and therefore not been in contact.

Apart from some yeast that may have deposited at the meniscus, it looks pretty clear!

What are people's thoughts on human consumption? Totally fine, proceed with caution, or dump it?

Cheers in advance for advice! athumb..

Drink it. I've recently drank some Ind Coope Jubilee Ale from 1977, and lived to tell the tale.

Open the bottles carefully (just in case they are over carbed), pour, give the glass a sniff, and unless it smells obviously off, I'd crack on and taste it. It might come out amazing, you never know.

If it smells okay, and tastes okay I would just go for it. Beer tends to be sold with a best before not a use by date. The taste can degrade over time but it still almost certainly fine to drink.

I once brewed a bock beer and kept a bottle back for two years. When I tasted it, it was absolutely disgusting.

Be interested to know how these turn out.

I was searching through my garage and came across 5x500ml bottles containing Wherry(?), which I think may have been brewed approx 5 years ago.

The bottles are those brown glass, swing-top type. There is a rubber seal of course, but I think the beer has been stored upright over the years and therefore not been in contact.

Apart from some yeast that may have deposited at the meniscus, it looks pretty clear!

What are people's thoughts on human consumption? Totally fine, proceed with caution, or dump it?

It's like saying "I was ferreting around in my garage and I found an old backy tin that I'd put five £20 notes in five years ago and forgotten about. Is it still ok to spend them or take them to the bank?"

D

Drink it. Small sips at first, to be safe. But my guess is it's alright.

I once brewed a bock beer and kept a bottle back for two years. When I tasted it, it was absolutely disgusting.

Be interested to know how these turn out.

I recently tried a 5 year old black IPA that I found in the back of my stocks. Absolutely vile in taste, (and it was a really good beer to start with), but no ill effects from drinking said beer.

OK. Try this one.
I had a half finished jar of homemade sauerkraut which had been in the garage unrefrigerated for 15 months, what I did I do with it (without any consultation) ?
Well if it was me, I'd have chucked it in the bin. Even pickled stuff that you buy in the shops say they should be consumed within a certain amount of time once opened. Not sure exactly how long but I can't imagine it's as long as 15 months.

Jesus wept! Taking your life in your own hands there, mate.

I remember my mum giving me an unopened jar of beetroot once and when I tried it, it was stomach churningly foul. Couldn't find a use by date on it but I did notice something odd. It said 'made in Czechoslovakia' on it. This would have been about 15 years ago so approx 2005. Czechoslovakia hasn't been a country since about 1996!

Latest posts

Back