Just Out Of Interest...Beer Prices In Your Area

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyboy1965

Landlord.
Reaction score
I rarely drink in pubs, but last week I had a walk around Birmingham City Center and had a few beers, well actually my wife went shopping, so I only had one option. I worked it out that a "real ale" cost about £3.50 per pint, Now I just cant work this out. Taking into account original cost, tax, profit, overheads (this comes under "profit" ) How can you be charged £3.50 for a beer?. When as a HBer, I can make a beer for, lets say 50p per pint ???
Is the consumer being ripped off somewhere along the line? And are you surprised that so many pubs are closing down?

I like yourself rarely drink in pubs so i found the cheapest and dearest price as printed in the good food guide, it'll be interesting to see if anyone has paid more.

Good Pub Guide 2015 reveals cost of an average pint

• Views: 636
  • Print
  • Bookmark
Share this:

Posted by Cask Matters on Monday, 8 September 2014

The Good Pub Guide 2015 has released details of the cheapest and most expensive price for a pint in pubs across the UK. They found that the cheapest pint was in Herefordshire and the most expensive in London with a differential of 76 pence per pint. The average price of a pint of beer in Britain is £3.31 up from £3.20 last year.

The Guide also found that the growing wave of pubs brewing their own beer were typically 45 pence less than the local average.

The winner of the Good Pub Guide Pub of the Year was the Rose & Crown at Snettisham, Norfolk : Certain pubs stand out over the
year as places that are truly special, featuring again and again in readers' reports. The Rose & Crown at Snettisham prompted rave comments from readers: ‘a seamless and enjoyable experience', ‘constantly impressed', ‘unquestionably good', ‘quite frankly, this shows other pubs how things should be done'.

According to editors Alisdair Aird and Fiona Stapley, after years of doom and gloom, the pub scene is finally booming. They comment: ‘The pub scene has changed utterly from the days of decrepit boozers with dull beer and freezer-pack food to a thriving industry that's now finding ingenious ways of pleasing millions of new customers. And this transformation has taken place against a background of hard economic times that have driven many less alert pub businesses to the wall. Although around 28 pubs are closing a week (about half the number that closed a couple of years ago), many of them are being re-opened by visionary and energetic new licensees. It is the success of these pubs that has definitely led to a new mood of forward-looking confidence in the pub world.'

In Northampton it's between 3.40 and 3.70 for a pint of ale and a bit more for Guinness.
If I go back home to Sunderland it's more like £3 to £3.50 although last time I was there I paid £5.50 for a pint! Fortunately it was bloody lovely so I managed to get over it!

I'd imagine tax and rent is responsible for the majority of the price...given how many pubs close they can't be making a massive margin.

Of cause the Good Pub Guide will say what you have just re-posted. Alister Campbell/Malcolm Tucker, would be proud of them, quoting figures, trying to fool the public into thinking that they are getting a good deal, by spending "quote"....£3.11 per pint. This beer costs, lets say after tax, overheads, profit....lets say £1.20 per pint...I think that's fair...but yet Im charged £3.50...No Ill up that to £1.50 per pt...now hang on someone is taking £2.00 somewhere

In Northampton it's between 3.40 and 3.70 for a pint of ale and a bit more for Guinness.
If I go back home to Sunderland it's more like £3 to £3.50 although last time I was there I paid £5.50 for a pint! Fortunately it was bloody lovely so I managed to get over it!

I'd imagine tax and rent is responsible for the majority of the price...given how many pubs close they can't be making a massive margin.

JMHO....pubs are closing because they have out-priced their market, rent comes under overheads....£5.50 for a pint...and you enjoyed it...Id be sick

Of cause the Good Pub Guide will say what you have just re-posted. Alister Campbell/Malcolm Tucker, would be proud of them, quoting figures, trying to fool the public into thinking that they are getting a good deal, by spending "quote"....£3.11 per pint. This beer costs, lets say after tax, overheads, profit....lets say £1.20 per pint...I think that's fair...but yet Im charged £3.50...No Ill up that to £1.50 per pt...now hang on someone is taking £2.00 somewhere

They have given a low and high price i don't think they are saying it is a fair price, we get ripped off in everything we buy the only differense with beer (wine cider) as you say is we know how much it costs to make so can see by how much we are getting screwed.

Just PMSL Re-reading your link/post Good Beer guide..Only 28 pubs per week are closing as opposed to 56 the previous year, can only be a good thing...equates to...you have got diabetes and we only need to chop your leg off at the knee...can you see what Im saying?

I have a Wetherspoon's pub nearby which often has some decent beers on tap for about £2.20/pint. We have quite a few excellent commercial microbreweries in the area who's beers are usually quite expensive (the bottles in particular) but sometimes Wetherspoon's has one on for about £2.20/pint - less than you'd pay for a bottle of the same beer in a shop to take out!

Just PMSL Re-reading your link/post Good Beer guide..Only 28 pubs per week are closing as opposed to 56 the previous year, can only be a good thing...equates to...you have got diabetes and we only need to chop your leg off at the knee...can you see what Im saying?

FFS, with hindsight i wish i had only posted the first part as that was the only part relevant to your question - Just Out Of Interest...Beer Prices In Your Area. :roll:

The Good Pub Guide 2015 has released details of the cheapest and most expensive price for a pint in pubs across the UK. They found that the cheapest pint was in Herefordshire and the most expensive in London with a differential of 76 pence per pint. The average price of a pint of beer in Britain is £3.31 up from £3.20 last year.

The Guide also found that the growing wave of pubs brewing their own beer were typically 45 pence less than the local average.

factor in wages
wages to brew it and store it
wages for the delivery men
wages for the pubs

then rent
rent at the brewery
rent at the storage / cash n carry
rent at the pub

then look at the pubs most are owned by the brewery who make a killing

add to that the tax at every point and im sure most pubs dont make much its the brewery and the tax man that makes the real money

JMHO....pubs are closing because they have out-priced their market, rent comes under overheads....£5.50 for a pint...and you enjoyed it...Id be sick

Most pubs which close are badly managed to be fair, there is still money to be made from running a pub as shown by the number of trendy craft beer bars opening all over the place.

I did nearly fall over when he told me the price, fortunately I'd had a few already tho. :lol:

factor in wages
wages for the pubs

then rent
rent at the brewery
rent at the pub

add to that the tax at every point and im sure most pubs dont make much its the brewery and the tax man that makes the real money

I would agree with this. With a commercial pint a profit has to be made somewhere at every stage. I would suggest perhaps going back even further to the farmer wanting to make a profit on the grain and hops they are growing

factor in wages
wages for the pubs

then rent
rent at the brewery
rent at the pub

Yes, when you think about it it's obvious that the cost of producing the beer itself (wages, ingredients, overheads etc) is the least of what the punter ends up paying for in the pub.
I'd be the last person to begrudge anyone making a living. But with even good carry-out beer like Hobgoblin costing just £1.25 (which obviously still allows for decent profits or they couldn't produce it), £3.50 per pub pint is such a huge mark up that I'm surprised that people are still prepared to pay it.
Or that they can afford to. I know I can't.

Latest posts

Back