Just Out Of Interest...Beer Prices In Your Area

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local is an Irish pub, which is handy as I drink draft Guinness which is at £3.40 a pint at the moment, the other popular beer is draft Warsteiner 5.2% at £3.30 a pint. This is imported from Germany and not brewed under license in England so it's clean as the per the German brewing laws (this is something I've never understood, England has a fantastic beer brewing history and yet beer companies are allowed to add any **** they want to beer with impunity). As it's an Irish pub the Guinness pipes are very regularly cleaned and both the Guinness and Warsteiner are cracking pints. I've been drinking in there for 20 odd years now and the visits are as much social as they are about drinking but what I've found is that having a couple of bottles of something nice before I go, Marstons Pedigree IPA is my fave at the moment. I have two or three pints and then another couple of bottles when I come home is the only affordable way to have a good drink for the night and getting to spend two or three hours chatting away to my mates. I was talking to a mate at work who went to a leaving do in Central London and when he ordered two pints and gave the 12 year old barman a tenner he just got a blank stare waiting for the other pound, £11 for two pints!!!! HB is definitely the way forward.

My local sells it's guest beers at £2.80 which is pretty reasonable.
By the way I was reading another thread on the forum a while back where someone was considering starting up as a microbrewer - general consensus was that it's a nice hobby but don't expect to make a lot of money! I can see the sense of doing it if you just happen to own a pub so you're getting retail prices for your efforts rather than wholesale prices.

Prices vary here in Nottingham, depending on brewery & abv as much as by the pub. Most pubs have offers - all day Monday, pints are £2.50; or pints £2.50 between 4-6pm are two we enjoy round here. Otherwise, you're looking between £2.60 - about £3.40 for the most expensive.
A lot of the variation relates to the price charged by breweries - firkins range from £60+vat to well over £100+vat. Tim Taylor Landlord, for example, costs £112+vat a firkin.

Cambridge is usually about £4 a pint.

Last weekend near the center, 3 punk IPA 1 Green king IPA and 1 cider cost me £21.40.

Just out of Cambridge where I live it is usually about £3.60-£3.80

(Sorry I was reporting for Beeston, rather than Nottingham city centre, which is usually a bit more expensive. The most expensive I have found in Nottingham is a new bar that sells US craft beer - upwards of £6 a pint there, though they tend to sell in 2/3 of a pint)

Back