Just starting a wine kit - a quick question!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've just started my second red wine kit. This is a more expensive one than the last.

I've just put the FV in a warm place as it states until it reaches over 20'c.

Then it says to add the yeast. But it says "add the yeast (do not stir)".

I've just sprinkled the yeast on top of the wine, but the wine has developed a little froth and the yeast doesn't seem to be going down into the must.

Is this a problem :roll: ?

Cheers guys!

i've often wondered about this too.
is this to do with top/bottom fermenters? will top fermenters die if you stir them in, or just take an age to get started?

i think that's about right percival regarding top and bottoms

i've stirred in top fermenting yeast plenty of times though and never had a problem.

i think you'll only get a problem when (just like what i did with my turbo cider yesterday hehehe) your must/wort/apple juice/whatever is a little on the cold side... the yeast wont wake up and when they do, they're on the bottom. which is exactly what happened to my TC cos it was 14'c when i sprinkled the yeast and stirred as i normally do (only noticed AFTER sprinkling... doh)... it rose to room temp this morning but i had to rouse the yeast to get them back into suspension this evening ;)

percival said:
is this to do with top/bottom fermenters? will top fermenters die if you stir them in, or just take an age to get started?
The instructions for Lallemand Yeasts SO4 (top) and W34/70 (Bottom) are the same apart from the temperature. Sprinkle the yeast on the surface, leave for 15 minutes, then stir, leave for 30-60 minutes and finally pitch.

Personally with the qty I pitch this method does not work well for me, For 125g of yeast I use 1250ml of sterile cooled water, and stir gently with a stir plate, while sprinkling the yeast onto the surface . . . When all the yeast has been added I turn the stir plate off for 15 minutes, and then back on and leave it for an hour.

That way all the yeast gets mixed in

Latest posts

Back