Kölsch recipe suggestions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_DD2

Mint Choc Chipster
Reaction score
Hello folks,

It's been pretty toasty the last few weeks and I'm wanting to brew a Kölsch for the coming summer months.

Anyone have a go-to recipe?

Hello folks,

It's been pretty toasty the last few weeks and I'm wanting to brew a Kölsch for the coming summer months.

Anyone have a go-to recipe?
Don't mean to be rude but why not run one through recipie builder and see what you come up with.Also some here-Black Rye IPA Recipe
Just work down the list on right the of page.
I did two brews with the Crossmyloof Kolsch yeast and called em false lagers:lol:
Came out ok though.

Kölsch isn't a style I'm familiar with brewing so I thought I'd cast the net and try to pool some of the expertise on here.

I have been playing around on Beersmith and have many recipes on the bookshelf but I figured there is no substitute for experience.

Any tips from your false lager brews?

Kölsch isn't a style I'm familiar with brewing so I thought I'd cast the net and try to pool some of the expertise on here.

I have been playing around on Beersmith and have many recipes on the bookshelf but I figured there is no substitute for experience.

Any tips from your false lager brews?
Tips? plenty-don't follow mine:lol::lol::lol:
My second one was
Irish Malt,Carahell,Caramalt and Munich(light) malt with Styrian Goldings hops.
Came out quite nice,is it a Kolsch?,don't know but i would do another along similar lines.It was a tampered with recipie that i found. I do like to tinker:mrgreen:
my first attempt was along similar lines with Saaz hops,preferd the second brew

I make a lot of lagers to a standard recipe but ferment like they were ales. Also I've never actually lagered a beer, but they still come out really well, maybe not as clear as a lager should be.

I usually use either saflager S-23 or w-34/70, I've recently got my hands on their German ale yeast (better for a kolsch) but not had the opportunity to use it yet. For a 23 litre batch I'd go for something like:

4.5 kg lager malt
500g Vienna
500g carapils

25g magnum @60 Mon
20-30g of your preferred noble hop @ 10min

Use a lager yeast or a kolsch yeast and in 2 weeks it should be ready to bottle. If you use w-34/70 give it an extra week as it creates a lot of sulphur but that fades after a week. If you can cold crash before bottling that's recommended.

I make a lot of lagers to a standard recipe but ferment like they were ales. Also I've never actually lagered a beer, but they still come out really well, maybe not as clear as a lager should be.

I usually use either saflager S-23 or w-34/70, I've recently got my hands on their German ale yeast (better for a kolsch) but not had the opportunity to use it yet. For a 23 litre batch I'd go for something like:

4.5 kg lager malt
500g Vienna
500g carapils

25g magnum @60 Mon
20-30g of your preferred noble hop @ 10min

Use a lager yeast or a kolsch yeast and in 2 weeks it should be ready to bottle. If you use w-34/70 give it an extra week as it creates a lot of sulphur but that fades after a week. If you can cold crash before bottling that's recommended.

Is the above your standard lager recipe?

Tips? plenty-don't follow mine:lol::lol::lol:
My second one was
Irish Malt,Carahell,Caramalt and Munich(light) malt with Styrian Goldings hops.
Came out quite nice,is it a Kolsch?,don't know but i would do another along similar lines.It was a tampered with recipie that i found. I do like to tinker:mrgreen:
my first attempt was along similar lines with Saaz hops,preferd the second brew
Just to add that i used the 'Crossmyloof' Kolsch yeast both times and infact have just polished off all but the last one :(

This is my kolsch recipe, I was really happy with it and it scored well (35 iirc) in the Irish Nationals. It was fermented using the Brulosophy quick lager method.

Kolsch

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 16
Total Grain (kg): 3.25
Total Hops (g): 50
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.1 %
Colour (SRM): 3
Bitterness (IBU): 26
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 77
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.000 kg Pilsner (92%)
0.250 kg Vienna (8%)

Hop Bill
----------------
50 g Hallertau Mittlefrueh Pellet (3% AA) First Wort Hops

Water Treatment (added to RO water)
----------------
0.2g/L gypsum, 0.2g/L calcium chloride

Notes
----------------
Single step Infusion at 65°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 16°C with Wyeast 2565 Kölsch with 1.6L starter.

After tasting, I'd recommend skipping the gypsum addition and possibly reduce the CaCl2.

This is my kolsch recipe, I was really happy with it and it scored well (35 iirc) in the Irish Nationals. It was fermented using the Brulosophy quick lager method.

Kolsch

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 16
Total Grain (kg): 3.25
Total Hops (g): 50
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.1 %
Colour (SRM): 3
Bitterness (IBU): 26
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 77
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.000 kg Pilsner (92%)
0.250 kg Vienna (8%)

Hop Bill
----------------
50 g Hallertau Mittlefrueh Pellet (3% AA) First Wort Hops

Water Treatment (added to RO water)
----------------
0.2g/L gypsum, 0.2g/L calcium chloride

Notes
----------------
Single step Infusion at 65°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 16°C with Wyeast 2565 Kölsch with 1.6L starter.

After tasting, I'd recommend skipping the gypsum addition and possibly reduce the CaCl2.

Really enjoy this style. I think i preferred it over some of the Lagers i have made. Very crisp and drinkable. I have not tried the liquid yeast only the CML Kolsch yeast but will have to give the 2565 a go. I tried fermenting at 15c and 20c and i could not tell the difference.

Is the above your standard lager recipe?

Kind of, I usually make a variation of this recipe but I find this is a good starting point. I might add some Munich, or substitute the Vienna etc.

I kind of copied your recipe today. I subbed the vienna for Munich and the carapils for cara blonde

Awesome, would love to hear how it comes out! What did you use for the hop schedule?

So could i uses the same recipes for a steam beer? What is the difference if any?

My understanding of a steam beer is simply a beer using lager yeast at ale temps or specific steam beer yeast. I just used it because I wanted to make pseudo lager and only had the mj calilager yeast in stock

Really enjoy this style. I think i preferred it over some of the Lagers i have made. Very crisp and drinkable. I have not tried the liquid yeast only the CML Kolsch yeast but will have to give the 2565 a go. I tried fermenting at 15c and 20c and i could not tell the difference.

I love a kolsch, much prefer it to a lager. I really like 2565, I harvested a portion of the starter and used it in a biere de garde and it worked great in it too.

My understanding of a steam beer is simply a beer using lager yeast at ale temps or specific steam beer yeast. I just used it because I wanted to make pseudo lager and only had the mj calilager yeast in stock

That's pretty much what i thought. Will have to give it a go. I have some extra pale malt, saaz and citra lined up for it.

I love a kolsch, much prefer it to a lager. I really like 2565, I harvested a portion of the starter and used it in a biere de garde and it worked great in it too.

Me to. I will have to try that. I am on dried yeast at the moment as its convenient. Its a very satisfying style to drink, cant understand why i have not come across it before.

I love a Kölsch too. So damn refreshing. Hope the sun comes back!

Back