Kaffir Lime Leaves

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeskidmore

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience in using these leaves in brewing?

I have a wheat beer planned and am going to use these but my question is: how much is enough / too much? And when should they be used?

I had anticipated using some during the last 10/15 mins of boil and then adding more to the secondary.

I have she'd loads of these, use them in Thia green curry. Never thought of using them in a beer but take care, they are really strong. You ever eaten one?

Rob

In the Greg Hughes book he uses these in a recipe he adds 5g with the hops he is using for dry hopping.

Haven't eaten any yet Rob, but I have quite a few to sample.

5g is much less than I had planned to use, perhaps I should be more conservative? If I can get my hands on a few demijohns I will split the batch and try different amounts of dry leafing

joeskidmore said:
5g is much less than I had planned to use, perhaps I should be more conservative? If I can get my hands on a few demijohns I will split the batch and try different amounts of dry leafing

Yes definitely be on the cautious side with flavourings in beer. From experience it's easy to ruin a batch by going over the top. However, if you don't add enough you'll still get a nice wheat beer you'll just know to up the leaves a bit next time.

Latest posts

Back