Kamikaze knitting club water salt additions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of sulphate levels do you brew with? I always get a rotten eggs sulphur when I go 150 or above and am curious if you experience the same?
I mainly use Wheeler's Dry Pale Ale profile which is 329.9, but have used his Burton Ale profile which is 329.9 sulphate. The only time I recall getting Sulphur was possibly before I started using water treatment.

I read somewhere, probably on Barcleyperkins, that Burton Snatch was yeast driven and not strongly related to water chemistry. The argument for this was that it wasn't evident in numerous breweries in other areas that adopted burtonising their water, but kept their own yeast. Sounded plausible and now echoes my experience.

Perhaps something to try. Burtonise your water and split ferment with your usual yeast and something different?

Last edited:
I mainly use Wheeler's Dry Pale Ale profile which is 329.9, but have used his Burton Ale profile which is 329.9 sulphate. The only time I recall getting Sulphur was possibly before I started using water treatment.

I read somewhere, probably on Barcleyperkins, that Burton Snatch was yeast driven and not strongly related to water chemistry. The argument for this was that it wasn't evident in numerous breweries in other areas that adopted burtonising their water, but kept their own yeast. Sounded plausible and now echoes my experience.

Perhaps something to try. Burtonise your water and split ferment with your usual yeast and something different?
Thanks for bringing this up its a very good point. My most recent sulphur batch was with M15.

Latest posts

Back