Keeping bottles warm

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satellitemark

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I normally bottle up my brews and place them on a shelf above my storage heater, however today is the day I turned off the heater as the weather is better and we are well into spring.

I live in a house with no central heating or immersion heater tank etc
So my problem is how do I condition my brews after bottling ?
Are there heat pads Available that can take 46 bottles on them or does anyone have a better solution ?

All input is very welcome.

Mark

Hi there,
If you have a thermometer beside the bottles it will give you a guide to whether things are well away from your desired priming temperature or not. For example I do it in a cupboard where my boiler is and it varies from 15 to 22 degrees Celcius on the whole.
Yeast have "Ideal" temperatures that they work, so if your "warmest" place in your house is 15 deg, then it is really not short of (for example) a yeast which the ideal fermentation temp. is 18-22 deg Celcius.

So...If you have a place in your house that is "warm" take a temperature reading and go from there... Yeast are pretty resilient, and lower temps will only mean that it will take a few days more to produce carbon dioxide....
A worse situation is too warm than desired in my opinion....

Hope this helps.
David.

I tend to leave my beer in our utility room, which in the winter can be as low as 15 degrees, beer still seems to carb up without issue even if it does take a little longer. That is not to, say that any temperature will work, I remember the first batch I did I moved to the garage after about three days, this was in winter a few weeks later opened the first bottle almost completely flat. However I moved them back into the house gave it another week and carbed up nicely. So have to assume you need some extremely harsh conditions to actually kill the yeast.

Hi Guys,

The warmest place I've found is my window sill , the beer is the Young's to new world saison and it's bottled in dark 750ml leffe bottles, my question is , is the sunlight likely to ruin the beer or will the dark glass protect the beer ?

Hi Guys,

The warmest place I've found is my window sill , the beer is the Young's to new world saison and it's bottled in dark 750ml leffe bottles, my question is , is the sunlight likely to ruin the beer or will the dark glass protect the beer ?
Light IS one thing that ruins fermented drinks. Most bottles are dark for this reason. Brown is best. Best to keep them in the dark. I've found that the beer carbonates better if it is done slowly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back