keeping keg cold for 48hrs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopinator

Reaction score
Hi

Ill be going away for 2 days, leaving Friday morning and drinking keg sat night.

I want to take 1 keg with me to drink there will be no electricity. I'm currently thinking of making an insulated container out of a key keg fill the gap between the keg and key keg wall with ice, then a load of insulation around the outside.

do you think this would keep it cold till sat evening?

just a 19l corny,

I've seen the jackets they look to be just neoprene.

Ive got some silver insulating liner from my boiler and mash build as well as a few camping mats I dont use so thought that would be better than just wet towels.

also I've 2 empty key kegs and a fancying building a fermenting vessel with one so I've a spare

just a 19l corny,

I've seen the jackets they look to be just neoprene.

Ive got some silver insulating liner from my boiler and mash build as well as a few camping mats I dont use so thought that would be better than just wet towels.
Just Neoprene? It's actually a very good insulator (ask a diver). But it is "just" that - an insulator. Get things as cold as you can for Friday. Wrap it in as much insulation as you can before going away; even if you have splashed out on a Neoprene jacket, wrap it too. Take some of those cool blocks, frozen, in a cool box. Some of those Neoprene jackets have pockets which will take those blocks (the flexible ones), or the ones I have from Angel Homebrew do. Once insulated do not disturb until a few hour before you want it. 2 or 3 hours before you want it slide in the ice blocks to the insulation so they are next to keg. If you are going to use wet blankets now is the time to slap them on (or perhaps a bit earlier but don't put wet blankets on top of Neoprene jackets - it doesn't work - and don't cover up the wet blankets - evaporation is essential).

I reckon it should keep cool for Saturday night.

The important thing is to not try and get things cooler - it wont work. Just aim to keep things as cool as possible for as long as possible.

I have taken a keg camping twice. First of all I am able to chill it down to 1C in. The kegerator. I wrapped my keg in a sleep/camp mat. It stay d ice cold for two days even in 25c temps. Just keep in the shade obv.

I have seen people use a Igloo vessel as a kegerator. Put the cornie in the Igloo, fill with cold water/Ice and install a tap thorough the Igloo wall. This is something I was considering until I bought a tap pressure bottle filler from Malt Miller. Now all I do is run off a few bottles and store them cold.

Latest posts

Back